First I believe you have way to many processes running. Next I see you are running Firefox. I had a similar problem. Are you able to get on the web? I found out that Mozilla firefox had been attacked with the Trojan Horse Downloader.Banload .APJF. I rerand a virus check and it picked it up and deleted it. All is well now. But before I did this I had to do a Winsock reset. Hope this helps.

First I believe you have way to many processes running. Next I see you are running Firefox. I had a similar problem. Are you able to get on the web? I found out that Mozilla firefox had been attacked with the Trojan Horse Downloader.Banload .APJF. I rerand a virus check and it picked it up and deleted it. All is well now. But before I did this I had to do a Winsock reset. Hope this helps.

good4golf, I am going to have to say, you need to read an ENTIRE thread before posting, this one is over 4 pages long, 32 replies counting yours and covers an 8 day period. Obviously you didn't since it appears your reply covers items noted in the first HJT log and doesn't take into account the various scans which were run. All virus and trojans scan run have come up clean. Several of us regulars have looked at these logs and do not feel the computer is infected. The poster makes no mention of NOT being able to get onto the internet and obviously can as various programs requested were downloaded and used.
If you look at the LAST HiJackThis scan log you will see that many of those processes showing in the first log are no longer running since the unnecessary auto start programs have been turned off and the Norton listings in services have been removed AND at the time of the last scan Firefox was NOT running but as I stated, the computer was scanned for infections and all scans showed clean.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298931

That's the link for instructions on removing BHO's from Internet Explorer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1364

That's the link for moving your iTunes folder on Windows.

Other than that, the last HJT still shows MS SQL running, which is probably unnecessary. Also SafeEyes and the Internet security software that you have installed probably overlap.

I know its been a bit but I'm back. I've gotten my hard drive down to 85% full. Most of the space is due to music and video files, which I don't really want to get rid of, about 24 Gigs.
Irregardless I still think its something else that is slowing down my computer. The computer seems to do better when there isn't any program open that connects to the internet: browsers, Outlook, iTunes, etc.
I'm still having a lot of problems with the windows screen saver freezing up. I have it set to scroll through my photo album.

I know its been a bit but I'm back. I've gotten my hard drive down to 85% full. Most of the space is due to music and video files, which I don't really want to get rid of, about 24 Gigs.
Irregardless I still think its something else that is slowing down my computer. The computer seems to do better when there isn't any program open that connects to the internet: browsers, Outlook, iTunes, etc.
I'm still having a lot of problems with the windows screen saver freezing up. I have it set to scroll through my photo album.

Sorry, but I firmly believe the cause of your slow downs is the fact that the hard drive is 85% full. We know absolutely that the computer is NOT infected so it cannot be infection causing the slow downs. Yes, the computer would work faster not online, it won't have to use so many processes if it is offline.
Here is the statement I found on MULTIPLE websites concerning a hard drive with only 15% remaining space or less:
Your computer will run more slowly with a relatively full hard drive. This is because the free space is used up by your computer as Virtual Memory space, and the smaller amount of free space available, the smaller amount of Virtual Memory space available. The more you fill up a hard drive, especially past the 85% mark, the more the fragmentation, which decreases file access speeds and consequently drive performance.

You absolutely are not going to get anymore speed out of this computer until you remove some of those files. There is no other answer to give, that is it.

Regardless if all of your logs are clean, you have 24 gigs of music and videos, your computer is not going to be optimal. Opening internet connections opens more processes, so yes you may slow down more.

I suggest if you do not want to remove your music and videos, purchase an external hard drive.

This is more of a statement than a question, but I think its ridiculous that I can free up 10% of my hard drive taking the percentage full down from 95% to 85% and still see no difference in performance.
What is the point of having that space available if I can't use it? Is using only 70% of your drive optimal for performance?

While I agree in principle with the idea that you should increase the available space to more than 15%, I have to say that I found a worker at a clients company had installed a similar screensaver and removing it solved a group of symptoms very much like what you've described. She also had duplicate toobars installed (by which I mean they had duplicate features, like Google search.
If I recall correctly, the screensaver is part of a package that includes the option of uploading your pictures to a website, ordering prints, and changing which picture is your desktop. I don't remember the name, but it was what I call a "poorly behaved application".
Try having no screensaver, and a plain Windows desktop for a while. See if that helps

The screensaver I was using is just the windows option that allows you to pull pictures from your pictures files.
Irregardless I have disabled it.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Dandi,
it's been a few months without any news, are things working better? I just reviewed the thread and there are two pieces of information that I don't see.

The size of your hard drive
The amount of memory

Please forgive me if I missed that in a previous message. Hope all is well

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.