Hi,
I am new here, and have taught myself a little about computers and how to protect them. I have bought plenty of pro\grams, like Black Ice, Norton, Zone Alarm, etc and even a Linksys Router to try to stop the guy that keeps attacking our system. Non of them work. One time, I even had to take the battery out of the motherboard, as I beleive he had some kind of hook in the bios that kept sending him a message or link of some kind that allowed him access to my hardrive. Is this possible?
No matter what I do, this guy keeps getting in. I have thought of a cyrptology program and installing that before going online with a fresh install, but cannot find one at the stores. They say there was a legal fight to make the stores not sell them....eh?
Now, the problem is that when I am surfing, the computer stops. No slow downs, just stops. I was using Netscape, now firefox. Maybe that will help. Any ideas?
Oh, another thing I noticed that when this guy is in the computer, that I have a svchost.exe and sometimes the idle in tack manager is the only ones doing anything, dont know if this info help[s you help me, but any advice to stop the guy from accessing our computer will be appreciated. Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You indicate that you think this to be the work of an external attacker; can you please tell us the specifics that led you to that conclusion? From what you've posted, there is no direct information from which to draw the conclusion that "this guy is in the computer". It's very possible that you do have a trojan infection or rootkit hack; but we need more to go on in order to pinpoint the culprit.

Log entries from your firewall software would help, as would any other direct clues that you have.

One time, I even had to take the battery out of the motherboard, as I beleive he had some kind of hook in the bios that kept sending him a message or link of some kind that allowed him access to my hardrive. Is this possible?

That sounds like a bit of a stretch actually.

Now, the problem is that when I am surfing, the computer stops. No slow downs, just stops. I was using Netscape, now firefox.

Quite possibly the work of malware, but have you looked through your System and Application logs to see if there are any enlightening error messages there?

-

You indicate that you think this to be the work of an external attacker; can you please tell us the specifics that led you to that conclusion? From what you've posted, there is no direct information from which to draw the conclusion that "this guy is in the computer".

>I know this sounds wierd, but I have beentrying evertyhting possible, and asking over the past few years help from various sources, such as here.
I had Black Ice installed with the trace route feature, I was able to track all of the intrusions with that. I do not have that any more, and I am not able to now, as I just reinstalled my system. I wish I could. <

It's very possible that you do have a trojan infection or rootkit hack; but we need more to go on in order to pinpoint the culprit.

>OK< I have done a highjackthis logile, and not seen that is in the system now, I should have been more clear on what has happened. There has been various porograms found over the years, even with the virus programs etc, running. Also being safew not, opening atachments, etc.
This has been going on for the past four-five years. <

Log entries from your firewall software would help, as would any other direct clues that you have.

>I just now, started the linksys logfiles. I will be here for a while, and I will post them as they come available.<

That sounds like a bit of a stretch actually.

>OK, after all that has happened, like watching files delete on the screen, windows\system32 files missing and not able to open that file in the computer, emails vanishing onscreen, not being able to surf freely, like if I wanted to go to Panda.com, or say like last night, I was trying to get firefox, I could surf many places, but everytime, I tried going to one of the download sites, the timeout would happen.....I admit that this did sound a little far out there, but after all I have experienced in the past few years, It was the only thing I could think of , that Maybe was happening<

Quite possibly the work of malware, but have you looked through your System and Application logs to see if there are any enlightening error messages there?

I al off to do a spyware scan, and a few others. I will be back. I am currently on the phone fighting with the web company trying to get my dsl speeds back to where they where yesterday at 2.79 etc. Today I booted up to 270.45Kbps speeds.... seems someone down the line, put the line in safemode. Thank you for your response and questions. I look forward to resolving these problems.

Post back with the info I asked for when you can, and good luck with getting the DSL stuff sorted out. I know how much of a pain that can be. :(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.