Good morning, I'm new here and am having a problem with one of my machines. I get the following message on startup: "Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32/bridge.dll The specified module could not be found." I looked through other threads on this topic, but they all seemed to require running hijack this. I can't get any response from the system in order to download, let alone run, hijack this. The desktop comes up, but clicking on anything just brings up the hourglass and then gets stuck there. I had just done an update of Ad Aware before this particular problem occurred, and deleted a huge list of potential threats (kids computer, not sure what happened). The computer is running XP Pro, and also has Zone Alarm firewall and McAffee anti-virus. I'd appreciate any help you can suggest.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Good morning, I'm new here and am having a problem with one of my machines. I get the following message on startup: "Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32/bridge.dll bridge The specified module could not be found." I looked through other threads on this topic, but they all seemed to require running hijack this. I can't get any response from the system in order to download, let alone run, hijack this. The desktop comes up, but clicking on anything just brings up the hourglass and then gets stuck there. I had just done an update of Ad Aware before this particular problem occurred, and deleted a huge list of potential threats (kids computer, not sure what happened). The computer is running XP Pro, and also has Zone Alarm firewall and McAffee anti-virus. I'd appreciate any help you can suggest.

I think Zone Alarm firewall and McAffee anti-virus may not be getting along.Or it a virus.

I think Zone Alarm firewall and McAffee anti-virus may not be getting along.Or it a virus.

Thanks, Peter-- but my primary system has been running both for a long time and runs like a dream. Laptop also, actually-- and the system in question was fine until recently. Running Ad Aware this last time (I run it regularly but not quite as much on the kid's computer, where I should run it more often) turned up over 1,000 things I removed. It had been sluggish and somewhat quirky for a few days before that, but after deleting items from the scan it stopped responding. Boots up fine, then the error message, then unresponsive.

dianekjs,

I've moved your thread to our Viruses, Spyware, and other Nasties forum, as the "bridge.dll" error is definitely an indication of a spyware infection.

If possible, download HijackThis on to another computer, copy it to a floppy or CD, and install it on to the problematic computer that way. Since the system is unstable when booted normally, you may have to boot into Safe Mode to do this (or anything else, for that matter). To get to the Safe Mode boot option, tap the F8 key repeatedly just as your computer is starting up (before the Windows logo appears).

If you can manage to get HijackThis on to the computer, follow these instructions for running the program:

Download HijackThis from:

http://www.stevewolfonline.com/Downloads/DMR/Spyware%20Tools/HJT/HijackThis.exe

Once downloaded, follow these instructions to install and run the program:

Create a folder outside of any Temp/Temporary folders for HJT and move it there now. A folder such such as C:\HijackThis or C:\Spyware Tools\HijackThis will do.

Run HijackThis, but do not have HJT fix anything yet; only have it scan your system! Once the scan is complete, the "Scan" button will turn into an option to "Save log...".
Save the log in the folder you created for HijackThis; the saved file will be named "hijackthis.log". Open the log file with Windows Notepad, and cut-n-paste the entire contents of the Notepad file here.

The log contents will tell us a lot about what "nasties" have crept into your system, and once we analyse the log we can tell you what to do from there.

Note that you may have to copy the HijackThis log file to a floppy/CD and take it to a working computer in order to post it.

Note --> While you're still in Safe Mode, you might want to run Ad Aware and any other anti-virus/anti-spyware programs that you have. Those programs can often do a better job of cleaning infections when run Safe Mode.

DMR--Thank you very much for your response and steps to try. I will have to start on this a little later, but will post back with results. I know how to enter safe mode, but am not quite sure I know what to select after that in order to run ad aware, etc.-- but hopefully it will be somewhat self-explanatory. Thanks again.

If your system is usable in Safe Mode, you would run Ad Aware and your other utility program just as you would when booted normally: just locate their shortcuts and click on them.

By the way- if you are able to get/run HijackThis on the system, this thread describes how to eliminate the "bridge.dll" error with HJT.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.