Hi All,
my redhat 8.0 box froze up yesterday leaving me no chose but to powerdown. now it wont boot. it getts going but then starts doing file system checks and drops me in to a recovery shell so i can run fsck and e2fsck.

is there a way i can kick this box back in to life without the full re-install?

any ideas will be great.

spikes

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Are you running fsck/e2fsck?

i'm trying to but i'm not really sure how to use them properly, never had to before

any advice?

spikes

Running the fsck command is pretty straightforward; you can run it on one partition/filesystem at a time, or have fsck automatically walk its way through all filesystems listed in /etc/fstab. The latter should happen if you simply issue the command itself (with no options/arguments). To specify a partition, just do, for example:

fdisk /dev/hda1

Read the fsck man page for a full description.

You might also want to boot into rescue mode from your installation CD and run fsck from there; it might be a bit safer.

Take a close look at your startup. Probably you'll see a moment on the boot process will ask for run a fsck/e2fsck. But you'll have just a seconds to say Yes.

Good luck

My redhat 8.0 box froze up yesterday leaving me no chose but to powerdown. now it wont boot. it getts going but then starts doing file system checks and drops me in to a recovery shell so i can run fsck and e2fsck.

is there a way i can kick this box back in to life without the full re-install?

Use Knoppix. See my sig.

cheers people,
from boot or mannualy when i run the fsck/e2fsck command i get "/: unexpected inconsystency; run fsck mannualy" then it drops me into a shell. to be honest i think its just time for a re-install, i just didnt want to have to rebuild my databases.

any thorughts or comments note em down allways usfull for next time.

Cheers

spikes

Well What do you know,
Gave it one more shot using fsck on each partision and its all cleared up. back on line and working, well a few minor personality defects but noting i cant straiten out.

cheers for your help

spikes

Member Avatar for TKSS

Insert Redhat binary install CD-ROM
Boot from CD (You may have to change BIOS settings)
At the boot: prompt, type linux rescue. You are then asked to chose an installation method.
Instead of install, choose the Upgrade option but don't add any new packages. It will eventually prompt you to make a boot floppy.
<LI>Boot from the boot floppy and mount your hard drive. i.e.: mount /dev/hda4 /hda4
You can use fdisk as shown above to investigate your drives and partitions.

Well What do you know,
Gave it one more shot using fsck on each partision and its all cleared up.

Glad you got it sorted out without having to reinstall. :cool:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.