Hi,
I am just looking for recommendations from you intelligent people, for internet security softyware. I am using AVG internet security version 8.5.457 with a firewall, anti spyware, anti spam, anti rootkit, email scanner, link scanner, web shield and resident shield. I also use (due to recommendations from here) Malwarebytes and Spybot S & D and I run Ccleaner every now and again.
Should I be using anything else or do I have enough or too much now?
Also, how do I put a reference to a site by just typing "Here" and it goes to http://www.daniweb.com?

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

I like kaspersky that would replace avg

Just like this;
[url=www.daniweb.com]Here[/url]

Comodo suite.
Avast or Avira in conjuction with Comodo firewall.
Kaspersky.
NOD32.

Comodo suite.
Avast or Avira in conjuction with Comodo firewall.
Kaspersky.
NOD32.

You are saying that I am better off using one or a combination of these free programs rather than a program that I must pay a yearly subscription (AVG)? If I stay with AVG, I need to update to AVG 9 for 1 year is US$54.99. or $65.94 for two years?
Are the programs better, about the same or lessor quality than a commercial AVG?
If the programs you suggested cost about the same amount (US$55.00), would you still recommend them?

Thank you for the help to type, Here for a url.

Comodo, Avast and Avira are, in my opinion, the best, free AV's available. They are about as good as the paid for software, but may lack some features.
I have not paid for an anti-virus or Firewall program ever and have had no problem.
If you want to use a pay for program, NOD32 or Kaspersky would be my choice.

Thank you for your information. As I need to start a new subscription this month I will use your advice. I have downloaded Comodo suite and spywareblaster. I will disconnect the internet, uninstall AVG Internet Security and then run those two programs then reconnect to the internet. Should I also uninstall malwarebytes and Spybot S&D?

I would keep Malwarebytes, but spybot is getting a little dated now.

If you have problems removing AVG, use AVG's uninstaller from here.

Thank you again,
I am now running Comodo Internet security with spywareblaster and malwarebytes. I am having a bit of trouble with Comodo Virus Database updater is has been on 30% for 30+ minutes and even a reboot did not help. After the reboot I clicked update again and it went straight to 30% and stayed there.
How do I get Spywareblaster to start with windows? I have to manually start it every time I start windows and I can not find a setting in it.

Hi again,
Please ignore last post for now, apparently I have to download over 109MB at that 30% area of update, I have to just wait.

There is no need to run spywareblaster all the time. You only have to run it to update it, then enable all protection.
Once you have done that, that's it until you update it again.

uninstall alll anti-virus firewall programs download kaspersky install and use.

Hi again,
Everything is going well, thank you for your advise. I will now mark this thread as solved. Again, thank you.

To freshfitz,
Like I am about to take the advise of a person with 351 posts against a Moderator with 10,107 posts.....I don't think so, but thank you for your suggestion anyway.

I know one specific tools for spyware, especially, it's a free spyware removal

Thread is solved, which means the OP no longer requires assistance.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.