My Win XP Pro has a problem with Windows Explorer. When I go into explorer, it will open and function normally for a couple minutes, then quit and the icons on desktop disappear and then are replaced. Any instances of explorer windows are closed. This happens pretty consistently.. basically all the time - it makes using the computer very frustrating! Any ideas?
Here is my hijackthis logfile:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:52:48 AM, on 5/3/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Copy this advise to a Notepad file. Save it to your desktop. We will use it later
1) Please download the Killbox.
Unzip it to the desktop but do NOT run it yet.
2) Then please reboot into Safe Mode by restarting your computer and pressing F8 as your computer is booting up. Then select the Safe Mode option.
3) Once in Safe Mode, please run Killbox.
4) Select "Delete on Reboot".
5) Open the text file with these instructions in it, and copy the file names below to the clipboard by highlighting them and pressing Control-C:
6) Return to Killbox, go to the File menu, and choose "Paste from Clipboard".
7) Click the red-and-white "Delete File" button. Click "Yes" at the Delete on Reboot prompt. Click "No" at the Pending Operations prompt.
If you receive a message such as: "Component 'MsComCtl.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." when trying to run TheKillbox, click here to download and run missingfilesetup.exe. Then try TheKillbox again..