I have read through some of the other threads on here but am convinced i have a variation on a similar problem.

Basically i my browser kept getting hijacked by some "spad" thing and directing me to something like www.exexex.com (i may have got that wrong). Anyway, after much pissing about i managed to get rid of it and, for now at least, i am not being redirected anywhere. However, now when i click the desktop icon for internet explorer - nothing happens!! I can open other desktop icons such as "recycle bin" and "my computer" but i cannot get internet explorer to work. I am currently accessing it but opening the recycle bin and merely typing in the URL from there.

I am a complete buffoon when it comes to computers but would appreciate any assistance on this one, though please write in laymens terms!!

Cheers for any help

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Might I suggest Ad-Aware and Spybot and hijackthis

Download the latest version of Ad-Aware at ADAWARE

Download SPYBOT

How to setup Ad-Aware and Spy-Bot S&D
http://www.zerosrealm.com/scanning.php

And after that, please do the following:

Download 'Hijack This!'.HERE

Unzip (extract) it to a folder of its own.Like c:\HJT\hijackthis.exe , Then Doubleclick HijackThis.exe (in the new folder), and hit "Scan".
When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, then Ctrl-A to Select All, and copy its contents here. for hijackthis,most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

reboot computer and post a new hijackthis log

Definitely follow caperjack's advice concerning the the Spyware/hijackware removal utilities he mentioned.

In terms of restoring the IE icon on your desktop: open Window's Explorer (not Internet Explorer) and navigate to your Program Files->Internet Explorer folder. Right-click on the IEXPLORE.EXE file, go to "send to", and choose the "Desktop (as shortcut)" option. That will put a new IE icon on your desktop; click it and see if IE fires up from there.

Thanks for the advise. My fiddling around with my computer i actually managed to sort this thing out. Why do i get this pap on there anyway?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.