mysql_query() [[url]http://www.mysql.com/doc]:[/url] You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'into kiwanis_info ( 'identity', 'firstnam', 'lastnam', 'phonenum', 'emailaddr', ' at line 1

Above is waht I get when inserting into a file from a class. The code looks as follows:

function addstate($ent, $errmsg, $identity) {
	var_dump($ent);
	$ent['identity'] = 0;
    echo $query = "INSERT INTO into kiwanis_info ( 'identity', 'firstnam', 'lastnam', 'phonenum', 'emailaddr', 'address1', 'city1', 'state1', 'zipcode1', 'infrequest', 'organ')
	values ('".$ent['identity']."', '".$ent['firstnam']."', '".$ent['lastnam']."', '".$ent['phonenum']."', '".$ent['emailaddr']."',
	'".$ent['address1']."', '".$ent['city1']."', '".$ent['state1']."', '".$ent['zipcode1']."',
    '".$ent['infrequest']."', '".$ent['organ']."')";
	$result1 = mysql_query($query);
    if ($result1) {
	  $this->identity = mysql_insert_id();
	  $identity = $this->identity;
	  $this->errmsg = "Information record $identity was added "; } 
	else  { $this->errmsg = "ERROR ... Information record not added"; }
    return $this->errmsg;
	return $this->identity;
     }

Don Johnston, e-mail: <EMAIL SNIPPED>

Recommended Answers

Just looking at it real quick is identity your primary key and set for auto-increment? If so then do not attempt to set the value as the system will automatically fill it in.

Jump to Post

Just read the error message carefully.
And then erase one of the double "INTO into" from your query.

Jump to Post

All 8 Replies

I also meant to add that the error occurs on $result = mysql_query($query);

Just looking at it real quick is identity your primary key and set for auto-increment? If so then do not attempt to set the value as the system will automatically fill it in.

Thanks I will give it a try

I removed the identity field and even changed $result 1 to $result. I get the following:Warning: mysql_query() [http://www.mysql.com/doc]: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'into kiwanis_info ( 'firstnam', 'lastnam', 'phonenum', 'emailaddr', 'address1', ' at line 1 in C:\wamp\www\Hicksville PHP\Hicksville_Infoc.php on line 97
Line 97 is $result = mysql_query($query);

Just read the error message carefully.
And then erase one of the double "INTO into" from your query.

Thanks I can't believe I missed that. I am now getting: Warning: mysql_query() [http://www.mysql.com/doc]: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''firstnam', 'lastnam', 'phonenum', 'emailaddr', 'address1', 'city1', 'state1', '' at line 1 in C:\wamp\www\Hicksville PHP\Hicksville_Infoc.php on line 97. The query is as follows: $query = "INSERT INTO kiwanis_info('firstnam', 'lastnam', 'phonenum', 'emailaddr', 'address1', 'city1', 'state1', 'zipcode1', 'infrequest', 'organ')
values ( '".$ent."', '".$ent."', '".$ent."', '".$ent."',
'".$ent."', '".$ent."', '".$ent."', '".$ent."',
'".$ent."', '".$ent."')";
$result = mysql_query($query);

Do not use the apostroph ' to mark column names. Either drop the apostroph (which I always do) or use the backtick ` for column names.

Thanks Smantscheff. It works I removed the apostrophes and left the names to stand alone. Thanks Again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.21 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.