<?php
$mysqli = mysqli_init();

$mysqli->real_connect("mysq.x.com","me","wordup","inthekitchin");

if ($mysqli->connect_errno) {
    echo "Failed to connect to MySQL: (" . $mysqli->connect_errno . ") " . $mysqli->connect_error;
}

$res = $mysqli->query("UPDATE plate1 SET potatoes =('$_POST[potatoes]') WHERE id =('$_POST[id]')");
$row = $res->fetch_assoc();

?>

returnes error
Fatal error: Call to a member function fetch_assoc() on a non-object in /home/public_html/addvegtables.php on line 13

the way i was working was

1 what would you like to do . == UPDATE the poatoes coll on plate1
2 where would you like to do it == plate1
3 put potatoes on plate == set
4 where r the potatoes from ? == $_POST
5 which plate would you like to update? == from $_POST.

which bit am i missing ?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Well, update doesn't return anything.
So of course you can't translate NOTHING into ROW.

Also, you don't need to wrap your query in parenthesis [ UPDATE table SET value=('value') ] Why not [ SET value='value' ] ???
Plus, it's better if you refer to post with quotes rather than symbol.
$_POST['value'] not $_POST[value]
You aren't necessarily wrong, but I'm fairly certain this behavior is deprecated for all but numeral type.

something like

$res = $mysqli->query "UPDATE plate1 [SET potatoes=$_POST['potatoes']] WHERE id =$_POST['id']";

give me
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '"' in /home/public_html/addveg.php on line 12
so a Parse error is one that the server is having trouble trying to understand like grammer mistake ?

so i take out the "'s to read
$res = $mysqli->query UPDATE plate1 [SET potatoes=$_POST['potatoes']] WHERE id =$_POST['id'];

and we get

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/public_html/addveg.php on line 12

this error says it found a string it was not looking for ?
if i take away anything else i will be left with potatoes and dont know which plate number to put them on or have a plate and no potatoes ? so i must be missing something to hold the potatoes to the plate ?

You took me too literally...

$res = $mysqli->query( "UPDATE `plate1` SET potatoes=$_POST['potatoes'] WHERE id=$_POST['id']" );

After it completes, don't expect $res to be a list of affected rows.
You can test $res for truth though,
$mysqli->query( "" ) or die( "reason" );
$res = ...
if( $res == false ) die ( "reason" );

ok i am lost,

$res is a function ?

the other side of = is the function itself ? so update plate1 with potatoes

$mysqli->query( "" ) or die( "reason" ); = says to me if potatoes added ("gotohere.php") or ("error") ?

$res = $mysqli->query( "UPDATE `plate1` SET potatoes=$_POST['potatoes'] WHERE id=$_POST['id']" );   

if( $res == false ) die ( "reason" ); if the potatoes were not added echo ("reason")
line added if ($res == True ) echo "Potatoes on the plate"

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in /home/public_html/phoneprocess.php on line 11

this is from the page before

<textarea name="potatoes" id="potatoes" style="position:absolute;left:74px;top:139px;width:198px;height:61px;z-index:2;" rows="2" cols="27" title="potatoes">How would you like your Potatoes/frys/mash/boiled ect.?</textarea>

do you think that line could be the problem ?
thank you for sticking with me , i know this must seem basic.

if( !isset($_POST['potatoes'] || !isset($_POST['id']) ) die ("Invalid POST.");
$potatoes = $_POST['potatoes'];
$id = $_POST['id'];
$res = mysqli->query( "UPDATE `plate1` SET potatoes=$potatoes WHERE id=$id" );
Member Avatar for diafol

I think this is more of a php issue than MySQL

The SQL itself looks OK, but you insert unsanitized POST data into it. As you're using mysqli, you can use parameterized binding.

UPDATE `plate1` SET potatoes = ? WHERE id = ?

See http://php.net/manual/en/mysqli-stmt.execute.php

commented: Good call on parameters +0

wow i understand it a bit better now thanks,
where did this line come from ?
if( !isset($_POST['potatoes'] || !isset($_POST['id']) ) die ("Invalid POST.");

and what are these {!isset } , { || } please ?

as i am now getting

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_BOOLEAN_OR, expecting ',' or ')' in /home/public_html/addpotatoes.php on line 10

isset() is a function, which checks to see if some object is set, or not.

|| is a logical OR operator,
In english, you could say, "OR"
if( condition OR condition ) then ...

In this case, !isset($_POST['potatoes'] should be !isset($_POST['potatoes'])
In my haste, I didn't add the closing parenthesis.

Edit: It would behoove you to understand the error messages, most of them are quite simple.

it looks like we are getting somewhere , however
this

<?php
    $mysqli = mysqli_init();
    $mysqli->real_connect("mysq.x.com","me","key1","kitchin");
    echo "Failed to connect to MySQL: (" . $mysqli->connect_errno . ") " . $mysqli->connect_error;
    }
    if( !isset($_POST['potatoes']) || !isset($_POST['id']) ) die ("Invalid POST.");
    $id = $_POST['id'];
    $res = $mysqli->query( "UPDATE `plate1` SET potatoes=$potatoes WHERE id=$id" );
?>

echos
Invalid POST

have tried $id = $_GET['id']; az well,

and where do i fine "||" on the keyboard ?

i dont have to empty the cell first do i ?

I did manage to get this line

$sql = "UPDATEplate1SETpotatoes='400' WHEREid= 12";

to input , so how do i change them to be varibales ?

You'll need to include the code (or HTML form) which POSTs; a small bit about how you use it would also be helpful.

the form that colects the id string and potatoes string looks like ,

<form name="Form1" method="post" action="gotplate.php" enctype="text/plain" id="Form1">
<textarea name="id" id="id" style="position:absolute;left:75px;top:70px;width:189px;height:51px;z-index:0;" rows="2" cols="25" title="id"><?php printf($row['id']); ?></textarea>
<textarea name="name" id="name" style="position:absolute;left:280px;top:73px;width:166px;height:45px;z-index:1;" rows="1" cols="22" title="placemat1"><?php printf($row['placemat1']); ?></textarea>
<textarea name="potatoes" id="potatoes" style="position:absolute;left:74px;top:139px;width:198px;height:61px;z-index:2;" rows="2" cols="27" title="potatoes">which potatoes would you like</textarea>
<input type="submit" id="Button1" name="" value="addpotatos" style="position:absolute;left:326px;top:153px;width:96px;height:25px;z-index:3;">
</form>

and the process page looks like

<?php
        $mysqli = mysqli_init();
        $mysqli->real_connect("mysq.x.com","me","key2","kitchin");
        }
        if( !isset($_POST['potatoes']) || !isset($_POST['id']) ) die ("Invalid POST.");
        $id = $_POST['id'];
        $res = $mysqli->query( "UPDATE `plate1` SET potatoes=$potatoes WHERE id=$id" );
    ?>

sofar

got it text/plain should be multipart/form-data

THANKS ALL :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.