Hello everyone,
I was wondering what a good book to start learning Java would be. I know a little about programming like variables, function, etc. , but not object-oriented stuff. I was thinking of buying Learning Java, 3rd Edition, but I'm not sure. What do you think is the best book for me:icon_question:

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by satya5321

Hello everyone,
I was wondering what a good book to start learning Java would be. I know a little about programming like variables, function, etc. , but not object-oriented stuff. I was thinking of buying Learning Java, 3rd Edition, but I'm not sure. What do you think is the best book for me:icon_question:

You can't learn Java to any useful degree and not learn "object-oriented stuff". Java IS object-oriented and the entire API is built upon that. You won't get beyond anything trivial in the language without some understanding of OO concepts.

He does want to learn OO. He was saying he has had a little experience in programming but nothing OO before.

He does want to learn OO. He was saying he has had a little experience in programming but nothing OO before.

Ah, my bad, sorry. I misread it.

i am reading the Java Complete Reference and
HeadFirst Java. I feel these two books are great books.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.