Hello everyone,
I was wondering what a good book to start learning Java would be. I know a little about programming like variables, function, etc. , but not object-oriented stuff. I was thinking of buying Learning Java, 3rd Edition, but I'm not sure. What do you think is the best book for me:icon_question:

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

There are different opinions what is the best book to learn Java from. This topic was discused in numerous places of this forum for example Starting "Java" [Java tutorials / resources / faq] that is on top of this forum and recently Java Book For Newbies?. Have look at these books in your local or school library and pick the one that suite best to your reading preferences...

Hello everyone,
I was wondering what a good book to start learning Java would be. I know a little about programming like variables, function, etc. , but not object-oriented stuff. I was thinking of buying Learning Java, 3rd Edition, but I'm not sure. What do you think is the best book for me:icon_question:

You can't learn Java to any useful degree and not learn "object-oriented stuff". Java IS object-oriented and the entire API is built upon that. You won't get beyond anything trivial in the language without some understanding of OO concepts.

He does want to learn OO. He was saying he has had a little experience in programming but nothing OO before.

He does want to learn OO. He was saying he has had a little experience in programming but nothing OO before.

Ah, my bad, sorry. I misread it.

i am reading the Java Complete Reference and
HeadFirst Java. I feel these two books are great books.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.