Hi guys

Im trying to make a maths game for a friend of mines little brother jase, but I need it to generate 2 random numbers between 1 and the maximum number that jase said. I cant figure out how to get the rand1 = (rand()%10)+1; so that the 10 = whatever number he entered.
here is the code i have so far before i became stuck

#include<iostream>
#include <ctime>
#include <cstdlib>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
    int choice
    cout << "Welcome to jase's maths game, what operations would you like to practice\n";
    cout << "1) Addition +\n";
    cout << "2) Subtraction -\n";
    cout << "Please enter your choice 1 or 2 then press enter: \n";
    cin >> choice << endl;// Find out what jase wants to do

if (choice == 1)//If jase wants to do addition
    {
        int lowest=1
        int highest
        int rand1
        int rand2
        cout << "What is the biggest number you want to use: ";
        cin >> highest << endl;
        rand1 = (rand()%10)+1;// I need 10 to be the maximum number jase entered

Can somebody please show me how to do this i would be very grateful?

Many thanks

HLA91

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

try this:

rand1 = (rand()%highest)+1;

YEAH...
gabs is right....it's simple..u can generate in any range....
what happenes is that rand() generates random number irrespective of this %n....anything can be used in place of n....

what we do is just take mod with n so that we can confine our randome number in range 0 to n....that's all..

one more thing....this will generate same randome number for same value of "highest" entered by jase...

if u want to make it more randome use seeded randome number generator...

void srand(int seed);
call this function before rand()%n....with different value of seed it will prompt rand() to generate different random numbers...

to get rid of sending this seed...u can use system clock as seed by calling..

srand(time(0));
rand()%n;

time(0) will send current time as seed to srand...as time will keep changing rand will generate different numbers....

Number1 % Number2 == Reminder which the reminder is always in the range of 0 to (Number2 - 1)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.