I'm pretty new to writting c++ and i made this file to create a random x and y coordinate and place a bitmap image upon it, i made the program save the coordinates to .dat files *or txt i dont really care at this point* now i want a way of reading these coordinates one line at a time (or any way to write a valid x == x_taken function) and applying them to a string called x/y_taken so i can make sure i dont place a bitmap in the same spot twice, heres my code (keep in mind its a sloppy rough draft, and any help would be greatly appreciated):

#include <allegro>
#include <fstream>
#include <iostream>

using namespce std;
//--------------------------------------variables-------------------------------------------
BITMAP *human_upSprite;
BITMAP *human_downSprite; // human bitmaps.
BITMAP *human_leftSprite;
BITMAP *human_rightSprite;	

BITMAP *zombie_downSprite;
BITMAP *zombie_upSprite;  // zombie bitmaps.
BITMAP *zombie_rightSprite;
BITMAP *zombie_leftSprite;

BITMAP *hero_downSprite;
BITMAP *hero_upSprite;  //hero bitmaps.
BITMAP *hero_leftSprite;
BITMAP *hero_rightSprite;
//-----------------------------random coor functions-----------------------------------------
int random_x_unit(x)
{
    rand() % 640 + 1 = x;

ofstream a_file ("x_coor.dat");
    a_file( x, ios::app );
    a_file.close();

return(x)'
};

int random_y_unit(y)
{
    rand() % 420 + 1 = y;

ofstream a_file ("y_coor.dat");
    a_file( y, ios::app );
    a_file.close();

return(y);
};
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
void spawn_human() //try to find a way to make a parameter that calls the function
{                  //x amount of times so you dont have to spam spawn_human().
     int x;
     int y;

string x_taken;  // calls a string that will be used to apply the file to.
     string y_taken;  
     //------------------------------X------------------------------------------------
     random_x_unit(x);

ifstream b_file("x_coor.dat");
     b_file>> x_taken;

if(x_taken == x)
       spawn_human();
     else
       ofstream a_file("\n", ios::ate); //hopefully creats a newline and sets to end for         
                                                   //  reading next coor
       a_file.close();                  //without deleting anything.
     random_y_unit(y);
    //--------------------------------y--------------------------------------------------

ifstream b_file("y_coor.dat");
     bfile>> y_taken;

if(y_taken == y)
       spawn_human();
     else
       ofstream a_file("\n", ios::ate);
       a_file.close();
     //-----------------------------ENDING----------------------------------------------

{
         humandSprite = load_bitmap( "human_downSprite.bmp", NULL );

draw_sprite( buffer, humandSprite, x, y);
     };
};
Comments
Thanks for taking the time to read the rules and use code tags correctly :)

I think that before you try doing screen graphics, you should go back to square one on writing C++ code. What you have stands no chance of compiling, much less doing what you think you want it to do.
Just looking at your very first function

int random_x_unit(x)
{
    rand() % 640 + 1 = x;

ofstream a_file ("x_coor.dat");
    a_file( x, ios::app );
    a_file.close();

return(x)'
};

Line 3 - remember that assignment is from the Right Hand Side to the Left Hand side, or LHS <- RHS
Line 6 - does nothing. If you meant to open the file x_coor.dat in append mode, the ios::app needs to be in line 5. To write the value of x to the file, try a_file << x; Line 7 - a correct statement!
Line 9 - end with a semicolon, not single-quote.
Line 10 - no semicolon needed to close function definition. It probably does no harm, as it's an empty statement.

In your spawn_human( ) function, you call this function above, passing it an unitialized argument, returning the random generated value. You don't store the returned value, but your program assumes that it's x now has some value. So, the number generated by this function is lost. You can transmit it to the caller by value or by reference. Pick one. Use it.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.