Is there a way using file handling functions to search within a text file to find the position of certain text WITHOUT having to read each character/line and evaluating it?

For example, let's say I have a file of 'messages', where a message has a distinct start and end characters. I would like to go through the file and locate the positions of each start of a message. I would then index this (let's say with an stl map of each message # to it's starting position in the file. Later on, I could then ask for a particular message # by jumping to that position in the file (let's say with fseek) and read just that portion of the file.

The reason I ask this is that I am dealing with huge files (let's say over 5GB), and I don't want to attempt to read the entire file into a string to search for things - I just want to 'index' it, then read the portions of the file I need. What I'm seeing though in all the C and C++ examples is that if I want to go to a particular position in a file, I need to know in advance what position to go to rather than letting me search like I can do in memory (ie std::string.find("whatever");

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I think you'll just have to search through it one bufferSize at a time... you'll certainly have to read it to see where the data is...

Is there a way using file handling functions to search within a text file to find the position of certain text WITHOUT having to read each character/line and evaluating it?

Is it possible to find a file in a file cabinet without opening the cabinet?

No, the only way to find something is to look at the contents.

the short answer is no. but you may not have to do this; let the standard library do the work.

For example, let's say I have a file of 'messages', where a message has a distinct start and end characters. I would like to go through the file and locate the positions of each start of a message. I would then index this (let's say with an stl map of each message # to it's starting position in the file. Later on, I could then ask for a particular message # by jumping to that position in the file (let's say with fseek) and read just that portion of the file.

here is an example of how to do this:

//23456<890<2345678<0123<567890
//45<789<1234567<90123456<890
#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <vector>
#include <iterator>
#include <algorithm>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
   vector<streampos> index ; // filepos where we find a '<' 

// create index
   {
    ifstream file(__FILE__) ; 
    enum { BUFFER_SIZE = 1024*1024*256 } ; // a larger buffer can improve
    vector<char> large_buffer(BUFFER_SIZE) ; //  performance for very large files
    file.rdbuf()->pubsetbuf( &large_buffer.front(), large_buffer.size() ); 
    file >> noskipws ; 
    istream_iterator<char> begin(file), end ;
    begin = find( begin, end, '<' ) ;
    while( begin != end )
    {
      index.push_back( file.tellg() + streamoff(-1) ) ;
      begin = find( ++begin, end, '<' ) ;
    }
   }

// verify that index contains the right offsets
   copy( index.begin(), index.end(), ostream_iterator<streampos>(cout," ") ) ;
   cout << '\n' ;
   ifstream file(__FILE__) ; 
   for( vector<streampos>::size_type i = 0U ; i<index.size() ; ++i )
   { file.seekg( index[i] ) ; char c ; file.get(c) ; cout << c << ' ' ; }
   cout << '\n' ;
}

here is the output:
g++ -std=c++98 -Wall ./create_index.cpp ; ./a.out
7 11 19 24 36 40 48 57 71 91 110 128 148 204 252 411 590 647 777 903 931 932 985 1018 1098 1099 1103 1104 1122 1123
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <

note: this is on a freebsd system; on windows there would be two (not one) characters at end of line.

vijayan121, I don't think ifstream works for files over 2GB, which mine is. (7GB)

vijayan121, I don't think ifstream works for files over 2GB, which mine is. (7GB)

If this is on an MS-Windows machine, them you may have to use win32 api file i/o directly on that large a file. See CreateFile() to open the file, and ReadFile() to read its contents. All those functions can work with huge files.

true, unless you are using a standard library implementation like one from dinkumware, and that too on a
64-bit architecture.

here is something you could try.

a. map chunks of the file (say 256 MB each) into memory.
how you would do this depends on the platform:
unix: use mmap (compile with -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 to make sure that off_t is a 64-bit value.
linux: same as unix, but i think kernels prior to something like 2.6.10 are buggy with large
files which are memory mapped.
windows: the CreateFile/CreateFileMapping/MapViewOfFile triplet

b. wrap an stlsoft::basic_string_view<char> around the chunk that is mapped.
eg. stlsoft::basic_string_view<char> str( static_cast<const char*>(address), nchars ) ;

download stlsoft from http://www.synesis.com.au/software/stlsoft.
for basic_string_view<> documentation, see:
http://www.synesis.com.au/software/stlsoft/doc-1.9/classstlsoft_1_1basic__string__view.html
stlsoft library is header-only; you need only #include the requisite files to access the functionality.

c. stlsoft::basic_string_view<> does not have the find family member functions as in std::string;
but do have provide polymorphic iterators. so, functions like find in the <algorithm> header
could be used.
eg. std::find( str.begin(), str.end(), '*' ) ;

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.