"""
infile = open("my_text.txt","r")
text = infile.read()
infile.close()
"""

text = """\
My name is Fred Flintstone and I am a famous TV
star.  I have as much authority as the Pope, I
just don't have as many people who believe it.
"""

search = "Fred"
index = text.find(search)
print search, "found at index", index

"""
my ouput (index is zero based) -->
Fred found at index 11
"""

Note that find() only finds the first occurrence of the search word!

FWIW this will find all occurrences of a word in a string. Also note that if you are looking for "the" it will give a hit for "then". If you only want the word, you have to search with spaces added, " the " -assuming string.lower() and that punctuation is removed

found=the_string.find(word)
while found > -1:
     print word, "found at location", found
     found=the_string.find(word, found+1)

I kinda have the sane problem, but i want to extract the text ocr several lines.. not just a word...
Can somone tell me how to use a RE for this?
Thanks!

You should really start a new thread of your own!

The string function find() can find a subtext within a larger text, as will re.findall(). The advantage of find() is that it will give you the location in the form of an index.

You should really start a new thread of your own!

The string function find() can find a subtext within a larger text, as will re.findall(). The advantage of find() is that it will give you the location in the form of an index.

Thanks, but i'm a bit unsure on using the index since the length of data tends to change within the search area...

And sorry about not starting a new thread... cos in another hobby forum that i'm part of we try to post questions in a thread thats already started with a similar question so that other readers can also look back on the old answer.. i guess it depends on the forum :)

Thanks again guys. i'm new to DaniWeb and am loving it here! you guys are amazingly helpful!!!

Ah, the pros and cons on posting on an old thread.
If you are interested in a regex solution, I would start a new thread and put regex in the title.

A friend just gave me a basic (not very professinal, but easy to move around) solution... trying that out... if it doesnt work, i sure will throw the problem at you guys again :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.