Hi guys,

I posted earlier today and had my problem resolved in record time, which was great as I had been struggling with the final elements of an assignment. Having received a preview automarking I found that I had one small error. Essentially, the read() function which follows takes an input file and reads the contents into a 2d vector - a vector of boolean vectors. Preceding the series of 1s and zeroes are the number of rows and columns. For example:

4 4

My function works perfectly as long as the number of rows and columns matches the actual number of rows and columns which are presented in the data. However, if one provides a file such as this:

3 5

It sets the extra row to a series of 1s:

MY VERSION WHICH IS INCORRECT
3 5

CORRECT VERSION WHICH I AM TRYING TO ACHIEVE

3 5

Here is the code:

void bitmap::read(string filename)
{
	ifstream infile;	// declare ifstream object

infile.open(filename.c_str());

infile >> numrows >> numcols;

grid.clear();	// before reading in new values must clear grid

grid.resize(numrows, vector <bool> (numcols,false));	// resize grid with new dimensions

char ch;   // read in as char 

for(int i = 0; i < numrows; i++)	// cycle through rows
	{

for(int j=0; j < numcols; j++)	// cycle through columns
        {

infile >> ch;

grid.at(i).at(j) = ch-'0';	
         }

} 

}

I am having difficulty moving forward at the moment because as far as I can tell any extra values should be set to false as I did so when I resized the vector, setting *all* the values to false. My suspicion is that somehow I am misunderstanding the inner for loop which assigns the values. As ever any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Daniel

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

If you're at the end of file, then infile >> ch will return end of file, and ch will remain unchanged. So you get whatever char you last successfully read repeated for all the times input fails.

Like this IIRC

if ( infile >> ch ) {
} else {
  // end of the show, exit the loops
}

Thankyou Salem!!! As a newbie who aspires to becoming an accomplished programmer, this site is truly fantastic. This is a wonderful learning tool. Thanks again, mate.

PS: As a sign of respect I am going to research the int main() vs void main() issue .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.