I've been searching like crazy for this but can't find anything in C#/VB.NET.

I want to show off a DateTime as a "x days x hours x minutes x seconds ago" string, so I'm looking for a function that calculates the time difference between a DateTime and the current date and time, and shows it in that nice string that you can see everywhere around the web these days.

Preferably something like what geekpedia.com has on its frontpage. Note that it always shows the two most relevant time objects at once. For example for the newer posting it shows "17 hours, 31 minutes ago" and for the older ones it shows "3 days, 19 hours ago" -- it doesn't keep showing minutes, seconds, unless relevant.

If anyone happens to have a C#/VB.NET function for this, it will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Here you are

static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            Console.WriteLine(GetDifferenceDate(new DateTime(2008, 11, 25, 10, 30, 2), 
                new DateTime(2008, 6, 2, 6, 3, 5)));
        }

static string GetDifferenceDate(DateTime date1, DateTime date2)
        {
            if (DateTime.Compare(date1, date2) >= 0)
            {
                TimeSpan ts = date1.Subtract(date2);
                return string.Format("{0} days, {1} hours, {2} minutes, {3} seconds", 
                    ts.Days, ts.Hours, ts.Minutes, ts.Seconds);
            }
            else
                return "Not valid";
        }

Thanks a lot!

This code is so much simpler than similar functions I've seen for other languages (such as PHP.) Guess we owe it to the versatility of the DateTime class.

You're welcome, hope it helped!
Please mark your thread solved if it been.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.