I've always used the Dev C++ compiler; however, I keep hearing how the software has little support. Additionally, I have heard people praise the debugger of Visual C++. So, end result, I'm deciding to switch from one to the other. My only problem now is that I can't make the simplest of programs compile. The following code even refuses to compile.

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()
{
	int x = 5;
   cout << x;
	return 0;
}

I receieve a fun error everytime I try to compiler a program.

1>------ Build started: Project: Learning, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Embedding manifest...
1>.\Debug\Learning.exe.intermediate.manifest : general error c1010070: Failed to load and parse the manifest. The system cannot find the file specified.
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Users\Nick\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Learning\Learning\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>Learning - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

If anyone has some insight into my problem, I would love to hear it. Thank you for the help.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

What visual studio version is this?
Did you create a Console-application?

I'm using Visual Studio 2008 express edition.
Yea, I chose a console-application.

You probably checked the 'empty project' checkbox when creating the project? That could cause this problem.

You probably checked the 'empty project' checkbox when creating the project? That could cause this problem.

You can still check the empty project option but under the project you add a new source file to the project

hmm.. looks like that precompiled header is required after all. Thank you for the quick solution.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.