Hey,
I'm pretty new to Java and I was hoping someone could help me out. I wanted to know how to store the information that a loop shows. I've been asked to create a project which adds up the squares of the numbers from a to c, and this is my code so far.
Class 1:

public class sumSquares {

public sumSquares(int a, int c)
		{	while (a<=c)
		{	u=(a*a);
			a=a+1;
			System.out.println(u);
		}

}

private int u;
	}

Class 2:

public class sumSquaresTester {
	public static void main(String[] args){
	sumSquares sum=new sumSquares(1,5);
	System.out.println(sum);
	}
}

I am able to get the squares that i need from the variable u, but how do i store the values i get after each cycle of the loop? Thanks in advance for the help.

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by saurabh92

Just let the attribute "u" be an int array of size (c-a),
And in your constructor instead of after displaying the values just store the squares as
below:-

public sumSquares(int a, int c){
    // Since we need the squares of c and a also
    u=new int[c-a+1]
    while (a<=c) {
      u[u.length-(c-a+1)]=(a*a);
      a=a+1;
      System.out.println(u[u.length-(c-a+1)]);
    }
  }
  private int[] u;
}
Votes + Comments
At least take the time to ensure your code works when you post an example.

I just wanted to say that I think you shouldn't do your calculations in your constructor. you could give the values in constructor maybe. but if I were you I would write a separate method to do the calculation. just to use the logic of object oriented programming. second think is you are printing your values from your sumSquares class. I would return the values to the main method and print it there. when you write a class you should write it to have a more general purpose. for example. your sumSquares class should calculate the values and return it back so your main method could print them or write them to a file or do whatever it supposed to do with them. of course this is a very small program to discuss object oriented concepts but it is a good idea to use that logic in all of your programs. here is a example method signiture for you public int[] calculate(int a,int b) another class could be:

public class SumSquares {
    public SumSquares(int a , int c)
{
/*gets the values to calculate.
it probably will do somethig like 
this.a=a;
this.b=b
*/
}

public int[] calculate(){
/*this method should do the calculations and return the calculated values back to the main method.*/
}
}

Just let the attribute "u" be an int array of size (c-a),
And in your constructor instead of after displaying the values just store the squares as
below:-

public sumSquares(int a, int c){
    // Since we need the squares of c and a also
    u=new int[c-a+1]
    while (a<=c) {
      u[u.length-(c-a+1)]=(a*a);
      a=a+1;
      System.out.println(u[u.length-(c-a+1)]);
    }
  }
  private int[] u;
}

Thanks for the reply, but i'm still getting an error. It tells me to insert ArrayInitializer for some reason. Why is this?

Who knows? Never heard of "ArrayInitializer". Though that code does not compile due to a missing semi-colon, and it does not produce a correct result if corrected to compile.

Votes + Comments
stephen84s knows

Hey,
I'm pretty new to Java and I was hoping someone could help me out. I wanted to know how to store the information that a loop shows. I've been asked to create a project which adds up the squares of the numbers from a to c, and this is my code so far.
Class 1:

public sumSquares(int a, int c)
		{	while (a<=c)
		{	u=(a*a);
			a=a+1;
			System.out.println(u);
		}

}

private int u;
	}

Class 2:

public class sumSquaresTester {
	public static void main(String[] args){
	sumSquares sum=new sumSquares(1,5);
	System.out.println(sum);
	}
}

I am able to get the squares that i need from the variable u, but how do i store the values i get after each cycle of the loop? Thanks in advance for the help.

Hey guys,
thanks for the help. i was able to get rid of all the errors by putting the whole thing into one class and making 2 different methods.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.