I have installed visual c++ 2008 few days ago.
I want to create a file open it, display contents, modify them and search them but i dont know specific codes.
I have used turbo c++ earlier.
Please specify the codes if possible. Thanx............;)

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by 13L4D3

You could probably use something like this read and create a file.
ofstream used for creating and write to file.
ifstream used for reading from file.

#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>

ofstream File1;
File1.open("C:\\Createdfile.txt");

File1 << "This is written to File1";

Read a file:

ifstream File2("C:\\Createdfile.txt");
std::string GetTheLine;

while( getline(File2, GetTheLine, '\n') )
{
}

I have installed visual c++ 2008 few days ago.
I want to create a file open it, display contents, modify them and search them but i dont know specific codes.
Please specify the codes if possible. Thanx............;)

Go back to the Microsoft site where you got that compiler and it will have link(s) to tutorial(s) about how to use the IDE. It takes a little practice, but you should bet the basics right away. Just remember, VC++ 2008 Express is NOT Turbo C++, so don't expect to use it the same way. With VC++ 2008 Express (or any other 32-bit compiler) you don't have to worry about segments, memory models, NEAR or FAR pointers, 640K barrier or any other of those limitations found in Turbo C++. You will also notice from the previously posted code that STL header files do not have .h extension. Those are the new and improved versions that Turbo C++ does not support.

#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>

I really doesn't argree with you using the standard libs . Go to the M$ web site and find
out the win32 api calls that what are the APIS that used to write to a file and read from a file
. But if this is your learning c++ using the visual studio c++ , then this is not a good comment for you .

If you know c++ and you need to learn something deeper then go and learn it .If you learning
C++ ( that means that you don't know the core c++ ) then use the iostream.h include file.

and get sharp with that and come again to here and learn what I above said .

Comments
Looks like you need to educate yourself.

I really doesn't argree with you using the standard libs .

When just starting to learn the c++ language always always use standard c++ set of STL and other header files/streams. They are portable to any modern c++ compiler on any operating system, and there are hundreds of books that teach them too. He's trying to learn c++, not win32 api.

.If you learning C++ ( that means that you don't know the core c++ ) then use the iostream.h include file.

That's like advising a teenager to learn to drive a car by riding horse-and-buggy. iostream.h never was and is not now part of the c++ standards, and went out of style probably over 10 years ago. Your advise is just so much rubbish.

When just starting to learn the c++ language always always use standard c++ set of STL and other header files/streams. They are portable to any modern c++ compiler on any operating system, and there are hundreds of books that teach them too. He's trying to learn c++, not win32 api.

That's like advising a teenager to learn to drive a car by riding horse-and-buggy. iostream.h never was and is not now part of the c++ standards, and went out of style probably over 10 years ago. Your advise is just so much rubbish.

I too agree with ancient dragon. As i have already told in this thread that i knew basics about c++ as i have already worked on turbo version and now want to go in depth knowledge. So it was really a bad post sanzilla.
Thanx Ancient Dragon and jennifer84 for your advices...................

then I thought that you already knew the core c++ programming language .

true what they saying , I agree with the Ancient Dragon , but what is your problem man . Common ,

he said that ,

Then he means that if you new to the c++ use the stdlibs and not new use that apis .
then that is what I also said you . Yes he is correct , he said that STL is better to learn , yes I also agree with that , we cannot say that the STL is not used in the industry .

13L4D3 , so then sorry about the post ,

then I thought that you already knew the core c++ programming language .
true what they saying , I agree with the Ancient Dragon , but what is your problem man . Common

actually m new to visual c++ there are lots of stuffs to know. So was asking for the basics one.
Bcoz i have already made a program on turbo version and now m tryin to make it with help of visual c++, so i needed help in order to carry on with ma work.........

13L4D3 , so then sorry about the post.

There is nothing to say sorry about, but if u cud help me out i will really be thankfull to u.

ok , here I think I can help you again.
you said

actually m new to visual c++

My comment is the C++ is a language , and that language syntax is not dependent on the compiler or the IDE that you are using . It may be MSVC++ , Turbo C++ , gnu c++ does not matter. So to learn the basics of the C++ programming language I use this book our Brucle uncle.and he not dependent on the STL . and I say you again this is not the place to learn STL .
there are many books on STL as Drag... said.

http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

sorry for uncle , actually my jedi master . may be I am the anaken skywalker!

There is nothing to say sorry about, but if u cud help me out i will really be thankfull to u.

Go back and reread the first two or three posts to this thread -- your question has already been answered. Its up to you to study and test them out ... we can't do that for you.

Go back and reread the first two or three posts to this thread -- your question has already been answered. Its up to you to study and test them out ... we can't do that for you.

Yes i have read them all and tried to connect the .mdb file for a start by downloading Northwind Trader Sample Database but was wrong somewhere so have to try again n again well thanx for ur help..........

If you want help then you will have to post code. I'm getting old and my eyes can't see as good as they used to so I can't see your monitor from where I'm sitting. I never owned a crystle ball either. :)

If you want help then you will have to post code. I'm getting old and my eyes can't see as good as they used to so I can't see your monitor from where I'm sitting. I never owned a crystle ball either. :)

hahahaha..........
thanx for ur concern but m not yet done with checking that one so when i will need help i will surely inform u guyz and yes will give code thanx...........:-/

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.