Hi Every Body!

Please any body tell me, is java is so powerful to do system programming wih it like C language and Assmbly.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

If java is powerful enough to do system programming like C language and Assembly?

I hardly understand you, but why don't you find out yourself?

Hi Every Body!

Please any body tell me, is java is so powerful to do system programming wih it like C language and Assmbly.

Java was initially built to handle hardware if that is what you mean.

However, Java is SO robust and memory-expensive that it isn't recommended for low-level use.

Furthermore Java is very managed, in which it has automatic garbage collecting and prevents individuals from handling/manipulating memory freely which can be undesirable for those who need total control when handling devices.

For performance reasons, it is unrecommended to use Java in place of C/C++ when it comes to doing low-level systematic commands - unrecommended if not impossible.

I do know that Java does have device-handling compatibility, I just don't know all of the devices off the top of my head. Cell phones come to mind immediately =P

I do know that Java does have device-handling compatibility, I just don't know all of the devices off the top of my head. Cell phones come to mind immediately =P

In the J2ME ( for the cell phones ) , there we are using the java API as in J2SE , the APIs are different and limited language syntax are there . That is the difference with the J2ME and J2SE . So as I know J2ME world there is no system programming .

But in the java world there is a keyword 'native' through that , you can call a procedure in a *.dll file . That means , whatever an application can do with the c++ , can done with the java [underline]AS I KNOW [/underline] . I may be wrong . So access to the device drivers are possible through the native calls or java's api . But that is not system programming . that still the application level programming .

To be system programming normally we should write the code to write to the device registers and memory locations and I don't think that java byte-code can done that .

Even using the assembly or c++ , you still
can write the application programs and device drivers . But when a native machine code application , it can be write using even assembly ,but that still not a system programming .

on java we cant do system programming bacause of memeory management issue (absence of pointer) and performance(speed). if we want system programming, the code should be fast execute which is not possible in JAVA(reason is jvm). many more reson.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.