I would like to learn how to program in Java. Does anyone have any textbook /other resource suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

hi....
i do have knowledge about java. i am delivering lectures in local college. if you need help you can contect me @
<EMAIL SNIPPED>
with a subject of "Java Help Needed"

I am currently in a Java class at the University of Phoenix. I have found a few good books if you were interested. The book we are using as a text book is "SAMS Teach Yourself Java 2 in 24 Hours". This book is okay for the beginners, but if you really want help with coding try out "Java 2 Primer Plus" by Sams or Core Java 2 (Volume 1)" by Sunsoft Press. Both of the later two books mentioned are excellent for both the beginner and the advanced programmers.

I have both of the books wmivey just specified{java in 24 hours and java primer plus}. I would definately go with these.

the best resource for learning java is the tutorial provided by sun at java.sun.com .... the link to the tutorial is :

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/download/tutorial.zip

and probably the best book with a lot of exercises and examples and explanation is

Java how to program by deitel and deitel

if you need any specfic help mail me at <EMAIL SNIPPED>

Hi Elisa,
Think you would soon fall in love with Java. You can
follow Thinking in Java, by Bruce Ekhel. Happy Programming
:D

Regards,
J P Thomas

Introduction to programming using Java
Second Addition
Addison
Wesley

Not a bad book it a little differcult sometimes but I find a good guide there might be better books out there but this is good.

All good recommendations.

There is also a Stanford University course on Programming Methodology and they teach Java. The Lectures are actual class lectures of a professor teaching his students. From lecture 1 all the way through to about lecture 29 or some where around that. Each video is about 45 minutes in length. You can go to the site mentioned in the videos and download all the available documents except for the Karel learns Java and The Art of Science in Java by Eric Roberts books. If you search, you can find them on the net. Th Art of Science In Java is a preliminary version that is very good.
If you are really interested in learning Java, and are serious about it. I would check these videos out on you tube and follow the Syllabus, do the exercises, and read the assignments.

commented: What "great" idea to reopen 6 years old thread... -3
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.