Hi,

I just wanted to ask if someone could give me a name of a good book in wich the mathematical formulas are written down with some explanation about them :?:

Reason I ask is, I'm going to evening school to learn C++ but in using C++ I encounter very regularly mathematical formulas wich I either don't know, or haven't used for a long, long time (almost 20 years)

That's why it would be easier if I would have a book in wich they are written down and explained in :!:

Thanks for the help guys, if this is asked in the wrong forum , my apologies then :o

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Can you be more specific as to what formulae you're talking about? Otherwise I'll just direct you to the mathematics section of your local bookstore.

Can you be more specific as to what formulae you're talking about? Otherwise I'll just direct you to the mathematics section of your local bookstore.

Hi Narue,

Well, good question, I was wondering wether there is a book wich has all or most formulas in it wich are used in C++. They would be from the simpliest to the very difficult ones :!:
For instance, one that shows the formula for this kind of calculation:
- Show with wich atleast two consequetive numbers you can get 15?

Solution:
1 2 3 4 5
4 5 6
7 8

Now, I presume to get these numbers, there are mathematical formulas right :?:

It looks like you're talking about algorithms, and unless it's a very specific problem that has been solved before, you'll usually be making them up on your own.

Euh, Narue, what are algorithms :eek:

Aren't algorithms used in computer AI :?: If so, then yes, those kind of formulas I certainly would love to have a book from ;)

But also for graphics you know, so, instead of using a 3D drawing program, I could use C++ to make drawings :!:

>what are algorithms
An algorithm is a specific set of steps toward solving a problem. A recipe for making cookies can be considered an algorithm. And you can find dozens of books on the topic. I have a dozen or so algorithm books focusing on C++ alone. ;)

>what are algorithms
I have a dozen or so algorithm books focusing on C++ alone. ;)

Well, could you share there name and maybe ISBN number then :mrgreen:

Thanks ;)

Okay then, two good books covering concepts are Algorithms in C++ vol. 1-4 and Algorithms in C++ vol. 5. Both are by Robert Sedgewick. The information is impeccable, but the code quality is questionable. For truly serious coverage, pick up The Art of Computer Programming set, by Donald Knuth. They're hard reads though, and don't use C++, but the algorithms can be trusted without question and the descriptions are amazing. Fortunately, you don't have to know higher math to get a lot out of either of them, but it does help for Knuth's series.

Thanks Narue,

Found them at Amazon :p

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.