http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cpp/loggerservice.aspx

In the link above there are three project files, I get it to compile the test project (the last file) with no errors and warnings. But can't compile the rest.

How to compile the client source files, it contains headers and cpp source files, i created a new projected and exported all the files into the project then build solution but that didn't compiled and i got errors. which type of project to create, would you give a look at the source code and tell me what type of project to create and then export the files or is there any other way to compile, is it a MFC Application or MFC ActiveX or any thing else project

And with loggerservice_src.zip, when I opened the .dsw file (VC++ 6 Workspace) I got the offer to convert it to the current C++ project format, so I clicked Yes to All, and after that another window popped up which says "The source control provider associated with this solution could not be found. The projects will be treated as not under source control.

Do you want to permanently remove the source control bindings from the projects?"

I got the option of Yes, No, Help

When I clicked Yes, and compiled then I got this log

1>------ Build started: Project: logger, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Creating Type Library...
1>Processing .\logger.idl
1>logger.idl
1>Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\\include\oaidl.idl
1>oaidl.idl
1>Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\\include\objidl.idl
1>objidl.idl
1>Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\\include\unknwn.idl
1>unknwn.idl
1>Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\\include\wtypes.idl
1>wtypes.idl
1>Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\\include\basetsd.h
1>basetsd.h
1>Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\\include\guiddef.h
1>guiddef.h
1>Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\\include\ocidl.idl
1>ocidl.idl
1>Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\\include\oleidl.idl
1>oleidl.idl
1>Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\\include\servprov.idl
1>servprov.idl
1>Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\\include\urlmon.idl
1>urlmon.idl
1>Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\\include\msxml.idl
1>msxml.idl
1>Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\\include\oaidl.acf
1>oaidl.acf
1>Processing C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\\include\ocidl.acf
1>ocidl.acf
1>Compiling...
1>StdAfx.cpp
1>statreg.cpp is obsolete. Please remove it from your project.
1>atlimpl.cpp is obsolete. Please remove it from your project.
1>Compiling...
1>logger.cpp
1>c:\documents and settings\manzoor\desktop\loggerservice_src\usr\src\logger\logger.cpp(90) : error C2220: warning treated as error - no 'object' file generated
1>c:\documents and settings\manzoor\desktop\loggerservice_src\usr\src\logger\logger.cpp(90) : warning C4996: 'ATL::CRegKey::SetValue': CRegKey::SetValue(TCHAR *value, TCHAR *valueName) has been superseded by CRegKey::SetStringValue and CRegKey::SetMultiStringValue
1>        f:\program files\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\atlmfc\include\atlbase.h(5123) : see declaration of 'ATL::CRegKey::SetValue'
1>c:\documents and settings\manzoor\desktop\loggerservice_src\usr\src\logger\logger.cpp(91) : warning C4996: 'ATL::CRegKey::SetValue': CRegKey::SetValue(TCHAR *value, TCHAR *valueName) has been superseded by CRegKey::SetStringValue and CRegKey::SetMultiStringValue
1>        f:\program files\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\atlmfc\include\atlbase.h(5123) : see declaration of 'ATL::CRegKey::SetValue'
1>c:\documents and settings\manzoor\desktop\loggerservice_src\usr\src\logger\logger.cpp(252) : warning C4996: 'vsprintf': This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using vsprintf_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
1>        f:\program files\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\include\stdio.h(366) : see declaration of 'vsprintf'
1>c:\documents and settings\manzoor\desktop\loggerservice_src\usr\src\logger\logger.cpp(444) : warning C4996: 'ATL::CRegKey::QueryValue': CRegKey::QueryValue(TCHAR *value, TCHAR *valueName) has been superseded by CRegKey::QueryStringValue and CRegKey::QueryMultiStringValue
1>        f:\program files\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\atlmfc\include\atlbase.h(5135) : see declaration of 'ATL::CRegKey::QueryValue'
1>c:\documents and settings\manzoor\desktop\loggerservice_src\usr\src\logger\logger.cpp(518) : warning C4996: '_tcstok': This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using _tcstok_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
1>        f:\program files\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\include\tchar.h(1550) : see declaration of '_tcstok'
1>c:\documents and settings\manzoor\desktop\loggerservice_src\usr\src\logger\logger.cpp(519) : warning C4996: '_tcstok': This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using _tcstok_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
1>        f:\program files\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\include\tchar.h(1550) : see declaration of '_tcstok'
1>LogInstance.cpp
1>c:\documents and settings\manzoor\desktop\loggerservice_src\usr\src\logger\loginstance.cpp(174) : error C2220: warning treated as error - no 'object' file generated
1>c:\documents and settings\manzoor\desktop\loggerservice_src\usr\src\logger\loginstance.cpp(174) : warning C4996: '_splitpath': This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using _splitpath_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
1>        f:\program files\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\include\stdlib.h(786) : see declaration of '_splitpath'
1>LogMap.cpp
1>PipeData.cpp
1>SecurityToken.cpp
1>ServerPipeInstance.cpp
1>Sleeper.cpp
1>Generating Code...
1>Build log was saved at "file://C:\Documents and Settings\Manzoor\Desktop\loggerservice_src\usr\src\logger\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>logger - 2 error(s), 7 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Now when I clicked no and compiled then i got this log

1>------ Build started: Project: logger, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Compiling...
1>StdAfx.cpp
1>statreg.cpp is obsolete. Please remove it from your project.
1>atlimpl.cpp is obsolete. Please remove it from your project.
1>Compiling...
1>logger.cpp
1>c:\documents and settings\manzoor\desktop\loggerservice_src\usr\src\logger\logger.cpp(90) : error C2220: warning treated as error - no 'object' file generated
1>c:\documents and settings\manzoor\desktop\loggerservice_src\usr\src\logger\logger.cpp(90) : warning C4996: 'ATL::CRegKey::SetValue': CRegKey::SetValue(TCHAR *value, TCHAR *valueName) has been superseded by CRegKey::SetStringValue and CRegKey::SetMultiStringValue
1>c:\documents and settings\manzoor\desktop\loggerservice_src\usr\src\logger\logger.cpp(91) : warning C4996: 'ATL::CRegKey::SetValue': CRegKey::SetValue(TCHAR *value, TCHAR *valueName) has been superseded by CRegKey::SetStringValue and CRegKey::SetMultiStringValue
1>c:\documents and settings\manzoor\desktop\loggerservice_src\usr\src\logger\logger.cpp(252) : warning C4996: 'vsprintf': This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using vsprintf_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
1>        f:\program files\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\include\stdio.h(366) : see declaration of 'vsprintf'
1>c:\documents and settings\manzoor\desktop\loggerservice_src\usr\src\logger\logger.cpp(444) : warning C4996: 'ATL::CRegKey::QueryValue': CRegKey::QueryValue(TCHAR *value, TCHAR *valueName) has been superseded by CRegKey::QueryStringValue and CRegKey::QueryMultiStringValue
1>        f:\program files\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\atlmfc\include\atlbase.h(5135) : see declaration of 'ATL::CRegKey::QueryValue'
1>c:\documents and settings\manzoor\desktop\loggerservice_src\usr\src\logger\logger.cpp(518) : warning C4996: '_tcstok': This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using _tcstok_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
1>c:\documents and settings\manzoor\desktop\loggerservice_src\usr\src\logger\logger.cpp(519) : warning C4996: '_tcstok': This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using _tcstok_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
1>LogInstance.cpp
1>c:\documents and settings\manzoor\desktop\loggerservice_src\usr\src\logger\loginstance.cpp(174) : error C2220: warning treated as error - no 'object' file generated
1>c:\documents and settings\manzoor\desktop\loggerservice_src\usr\src\logger\loginstance.cpp(174) : warning C4996: '_splitpath': This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using _splitpath_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See online help for details.
1>        f:\program files\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\include\stdlib.h(786) : see declaration of '_splitpath'
1>Generating Code...
1>Skipping... (no relevant changes detected)
1>LogMap.cpp
1>PipeData.cpp
1>SecurityToken.cpp
1>ServerPipeInstance.cpp
1>Sleeper.cpp
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Manzoor\Desktop\loggerservice_src\usr\src\logger\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>logger - 2 error(s), 7 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I believe that there is nothing wrong with the source code, somethings wrong with the way I'm building..

I'm using Visual Studio 2008,

Please tell me a way to build this whole project

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You can not compile the client files by themselves -- see the test project (the third download). The files in that client download are intended to be incorporated into your own project which you want to add the looging feature.

>>Do you want to permanently remove the source control bindings from the projects?"
The project files require VC++ 6.0 compiler and you are attempting to compile them with a newer compiler. If you are using one of the Express versions such as VC++ 2008 Express then it won't work because the Express versions don't support MFC.

Do you mean that I do not the need to compile the client files ? I have successfully compiled the test project.

And about the service source files, what about them, when compiling them I get some errors, I have posted the log for it on the first post you can see,

You can not compile the client files by themselves -- see the test project (the third download). The files in that client download are intended to be incorporated into your own project which you want to add the looging feature.

Why do you mean by that ? You mean that the client files can only be compiled with the test project ? I have compiled the test and service project successfully. Is thats it ?

>>You mean that the client files can only be compiled with the test project ? I
Yes, either the test project or your own program. The test project just show you how to incorporate the client files in your own program. That's the general way of doing it in all the projects you see at that web site.

I suppose if you want to use those client files in serveral different projects then you could compile them into a library (*.lib or *.a) so that they don't have to be compiled with each project. But that's up to you if you want to do it.

>>Is thats it ?
Yes, you got it :)

commented: Thanks for helping out so fast +1

Thanks Ancient Dragon

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.