I'm having some trouble on deciding to purchase Scott Meyer's Effective/More Effective C++ books or Herb Sutter's Exceptional/More Exceptional C++.

I'm assuming both cover the same concepts, but I could be wrong.

Opinions/Votes please from C++ programmers that found the one they read useful. There's also an option for both but please don't simply vote "both" out of ignorance, but experience.

Edit: "by" really means "buy" in the poll, but I don't want to modify it now.

-Alex

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

The question isn't which you should buy, it's what order you should buy them in. :) Start with Effective C++, then More Effective C++, then go through the Exceptional C++ series: Exceptional C++, More Exceptional C++, Exceptional C++ Style.

Ed would also recommend buying both the second and third edition of Effective C++, because there are different items in the two books, but the items that were removed in the third edition are still useful.

The question isn't which you should buy, it's what order you should buy them in. :) Start with Effective C++, then More Effective C++, then go through the Exceptional C++ series: Exceptional C++, More Exceptional C++, Exceptional C++ Style.

Ed would also recommend buying both the second and third edition of Effective C++, because there are different items in the two books, but the items that were removed in the third edition are still useful.

That sounds ideal.

I'm glad you didn't say "buy all of them at once." It's nice to know someone actually read all of them O_O

I'm still willing to take more opinions =)

>I'm glad you didn't say "buy all of them at once."
In Ed's experience, buying more than one book at a time means you don't read them all as thoroughly as if you bought them onesie twosie.

Alright, since nobody else has voiced their opinions I'll be ordering Effective/More Effective C++ tonight =)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.