Is the [X] at the top right corner part of the JApplet or container with the JApplet?

I need to make an action happen when the user attempts to close out of the JApplet and I'm not sure of how to properly access the window-closed button within JApplet context.

Thanks again!

Edit: Sorry if I wasn't being clear. I want to access the command associated with the JApplet window-closed box. Something like a listener-command for the window associated with the JApplet's window-closed box.

-Alex

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I assume you are running it in the AppletViewer? I think that close button is part of a window created by the applet viewer itself. Since applets are designed to run in a browser, they don't really have a close button themselves. They have life cycle methods that respond to browser events, like leaving the page or closing.
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/deployment/applet/lifeCycle.html
You will probably need to put that action code in one of those life cycle methods.
(I've never had use for an applet personally so I would just imagine that would be the place to handle it)

I assume you are running it in the AppletViewer? I think that close button is part of a window created by the applet viewer itself. Since applets are designed to run in a browser, they don't really have a close button themselves. They have life cycle methods that respond to browser events, like leaving the page or closing.
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/deployment/applet/lifeCycle.html
You will probably need to put that action code in one of those life cycle methods.
(I've never had use for an applet personally so I would just imagine that would be the place to handle it)

I feel like an idiot...

Yeah that tutorial worked. Just extended JApplet instead of Applet just to be sure, and it worked like a charm!

I'll put the code in the destroy method - I think (but am not sure) that the stop method is called when the JApplet is unfocused so I'll avoid using that for "clean up."

Thanks again XD

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.