hello guys iam new in this forum and comunity can you please help me with my code?

i must input a string or name depending on how any time i like and out u it at the end
but my code only ouputed the last name i enetered
and it skipped the loop instead i dont know why

import java.io.*;

public class name{

public static void main(String args[]) throws IOException {
    	BufferedReader in = new BufferedReader (new InputStreamReader (System.in));
    	String[] input = new String[100];
    	int i=0,ctr=1;

System.out.print("Enter Name:\t");
    	input = in.readLine();
    	do{

System.out.print("Enter Name:\t");
    		input[i] = in.readLine();
    		i++;
    	}while(input[i]!=input);

for (int j = 0; j < i; j++)
		System.out.println(input[j]);

}

}

:-/

I made a correction but the code is slightly different.

There were some errors in your code, such as assigning a String to the String[] reference and not an actual indice of the String array.

Here's the code--

import java.io.*;

public class name{

BufferedReader in = new BufferedReader (new InputStreamReader (System.in)); // getting a handle to the standard input stream
    	String[] input = new String[100]; // declaring an array that can hold up to 100 Strings
    	int i=0,ctr=1; // i determines the amount of Strings entered. Not entirely sure what ctr is doing...

//	System.out.print("Enter Name:\t"); // Unnecessary, this will be printed at least once in do-while loop
    //	input = in.readLine();             // error, attempting to assign a String to the address of String array!
    	boolean stopped = false; // determines if loop should continue or end
    	do{ // doing something at least once...

System.out.print("Enter Name:\t"); // printing out something
    		String userInput = in.readLine();  // reading a line of characters from keyboard then storing the result in String

if(userInput.equalsIgnoreCase("exit")){ // if the stored result consists of "exit" (ignoring letter cases) then....
				stopped = true; // set stopped to true, ending this do-while loop
			}
    		else{ // otherwise...
    			input[i++] = userInput; // store the user's input in indice i of the array then increment i
			}
    	}while(stopped == false); // continue loop until stopped is true

System.out.println(input[j]); // should print out the values in the array
    }
}

I made a correction but the code is slightly different.

There were some errors in your code, such as assigning a String to the String[] reference and not an actual indice of the String array.

Here's the code--

import java.io.*;

public class name{

BufferedReader in = new BufferedReader (new InputStreamReader (System.in)); // getting a handle to the standard input stream
    	String[] input = new String[100]; // declaring an array that can hold up to 100 Strings
    	int i=0,ctr=1; // i determines the amount of Strings entered. Not entirely sure what ctr is doing...

//	System.out.print("Enter Name:\t"); // Unnecessary, this will be printed at least once in do-while loop
    //	input = in.readLine();             // error, attempting to assign a String to the address of String array!
    	boolean stopped = false; // determines if loop should continue or end
    	do{ // doing something at least once...

System.out.print("Enter Name:\t"); // printing out something
    		String userInput = in.readLine();  // reading a line of characters from keyboard then storing the result in String

if(userInput.equalsIgnoreCase("exit")){ // if the stored result consists of "exit" (ignoring letter cases) then....
				stopped = true; // set stopped to true, ending this do-while loop
			}
    		else{ // otherwise...
    			input[i++] = userInput; // store the user's input in indice i of the array then increment i
			}
    	}while(stopped == false); // continue loop until stopped is true

System.out.println(input[j]); // should print out the values in the array
    }
}

thankyou so much for your help but if you notice the do whille loop will be skiped and not a part of the process how can i do that?

the do-while loop is skipped where? In your code or mine?

In your code you make two mistakes. The first one (already mentioned) was the assignment of String to type String[].

The second one is the condition statement in your while loop-- while(input[i]!=input) Now you're trying to compare a String (input) to a String[] (input), or in english you're trying to compare beans with apples.

I'm assuming you want the user to input information until the array is full? If so you'd do something like this-- while(i != input.length) -- now you're comparing beans with beans (the integer i with the integer value of the array length).

The only problem with this is that the user will now be trapped in the do-while loop until he/she enters 100 names. There should be some variability in how many names can be entered. *A solution to that was implemented in my version.

* I solely mean a solution and not the only solution. There are a million ways to skin a cat, I just used what i thought was the easiest way to understand.

import java.io.*;
import javax.swing.*;

public class name{

int i=0,ctr=1;
        String name;
        do{

name=JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Enter Name:");
            input[i] = name;
            i++;
        }while(input[i]!=name);

for (int j = 0; j < i-1; j++)

}

}

Edited 3 Years Ago by mike_2000_17: Fixed formatting

start quote:

import java.io.*;
import javax.swing.*;

public class name{

int i=0,ctr=1;
        String name;
        do{

name=JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Enter Name:");
            input[i] = name;
            i++;
        }while(input[i]!=name);

for (int j = 0; j < i-1; j++)

}

} 

end quote.

Don't make us guess. Is this new code, old code, same problem, new problem? What's the question?

Edited 3 Years Ago by mike_2000_17: Fixed formatting

hi dude
in your code an error is there for adssigning the string to string array without mentioning the index;and another in do while in condition
part

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.