Hi there,

I'm currently making application for my school project. I have managed to get everything working but there is still one thing left on my list.

The application should be capable of listening on a specific port for a specific type of packet (the protocol is SCTP). I tried to google out something like "java port listener" but couldn't find anything useful.

I don't really need piece of code or something I just want to ask the community whether there is someone here who has done something similar to what I am looking for and how did you manage to make it (again no code, just the theory).

Is there a built-in java class that can do such a thing?

Thanks for all the replies ;)

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I'm not sure about SCTP, but java is able to use Sockets to listen on a specified port, using either UDP or TCP protocols. If this is sufficient, then I would suggest googling "Java Socket Programming" to find some kind of tutorial or guide on how to do it.

I'm not sure about SCTP, but java is able to use Sockets to listen on a specified port, using either UDP or TCP protocols. If this is sufficient, then I would suggest googling "Java Socket Programming" to find some kind of tutorial or guide on how to do it.

Well SCTP is very simmilar to TCP. Anyway thanks for tip, that should do the job. Looks like what I was looking for.

Java Sun website Custom Networking tutorial should help you

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.