Im currently working on a project to build an application for Windows Mobile 6. Im just stuck with this stupid issue:

I have a SQL query string:
Dim connectionString2 As String = "Data source = " + path + "\HC.sdf"
Dim cmdText2 = "SELECT * FROM BigC_Rangsit_0_"

I want to substitute the table name ie. BigC_Rangsit_0_ with a variable which contains the table name.

say, during runtime the user selects a table from the dropdown list , that variable should be substituted with the selected table name dynamically in the SELECT statement.

Dim cmdText2 = "SELECT * FROM "selected table name VARiable""

well, I need the right syntax for this.

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by longstrd

Use Replace and placeholder for table name:

Dim cmdText2 As String
cmdText2 = "SELECT * FROM XTABLEX "

and later replace

cmdText2 = cmdText2.Replace("XTABLEX", strTableName)

where strTableName is obtained from the user (or dropdown box)

The problem is that im declaring the variable cmdText2 in a calss declaration and not in a function. So when i try to use it ie.

Dim cmdText2 as String
cmdText2 = "SELECT * FROM XTABLEX"

in the second line it says "Declaration Expected"

DO you have any other solution. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Ok. You had cmdText2 = "SELECT * FROM XTABLEX" in class declaration and it gave you that error. Dim cmdText2 as String = "SELECT * FROM XTABLEX" works in class declaration?

To get it to work in application you have to have some function/sub where to do replacing. Is this possible? You mentioned dropdown box:

Private Sub ComboBox1_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles ComboBox1.SelectedIndexChanged
    '
    ' Get table name from dropdown box, build SQL and...
  Dim strSQL As String
  strSQL = cmdText2.Replace("XTABLEX", strTableName)
  ' Use strSQL

End Sub

Can you use it in this way?

Yeah Yeah... Thanks a lot . I did exactly that before you posted your reply. Thanks anyways , your first post gave me a head start. Thanx a lot . appreciate it.

Now i have a different problem regarding SQL scripts. may be you could help me out with that one. I have posted the question on Wed Development -> Databases -> MS SQL. Would be of great help if you could help me out.

Thanx again for every thing. Appreciate it.

Not sure if this is what you need, but maybe it will help.

Dim strTable as String = "MyTable"
Dim strSQL as String = "SELECT * FROM " & strTable & ";"

result:

SELECT * FROM MyTable;

Yeah Yeah... Thanks a lot . I did exactly that before you posted your reply. Thanks anyways , your first post gave me a head start. Thanx a lot . appreciate it.

Now i have a different problem regarding SQL scripts. may be you could help me out with that one. I have posted the question on Wed Development -> Databases -> MS SQL. Would be of great help if you could help me out.

Thanx again for every thing. Appreciate it.

Ok, see http://www.daniweb.com/forums/post700670.html#post700670

Years later - your reply is still helping. I did not know the replace function/method yet.

Solved my issue. Allowing somone to type in or use a drop down so they could search the table for a field with a value.

thanks - d.s.l. ( longstrd )

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.