Hi,

I have done some code to display a form with a treeview. The initial folder in the treeview is given in the Project Properties Settings. I did this with the help of some brilliants here in this site like LizR.

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159402&highlight=file+path+in+xml

My intention is to allow the client or the administrator to change the initial path from the Config.xml file. But, surprisingly, when I tested the program from another PC on the network, it reads the path without the config.xml. How could that happen? How do I code to allow the administrator to change the intial path?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

404 File Not Found

yea, your link is no good

Not solved yet. Any luck? :'(

I guess I'm not sure what the main goal is . . . you want on startup a combobox to show parent folders of a selected file? I guess the reason for this just baffles me, but I'm easily baffled. :)

First of all, if you want to continue using xml to do this and nobody here is posting, you might try the xml forum here at daniweb

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/forum134.html

Secondly, if you want to make it easy for the admins to change, I'm not sure I would have put it in config.xml, why not code it for a textbox like the search already built in?

Or better yet, why not use a program that is free that the admins can check whats on a remote pc from their own desks? We use lansweeper for such things here

http://www.lansweeper.com/

It gives you a hardware and software inventory for every pc on the network. The free version works great, although we bought the full version because it gives us other features we liked such as a report builder and a great remote control and remote screen shot tool

(I'm still newer to this so take what I say with a grain of salt please)

I guess I'm not sure what the main goal is . . . you want on startup a combobox to show parent folders of a selected file? I guess the reason for this just baffles me, but I'm easily baffled.

I have some folders in a particular location. To initiate that location as soon as the app is started, I want the code to point to that location. My thought is that if this location changes in future, what is the solution to point to that location. That why I thought of using an xml file to read at start up.

Secondly, if you want to make it easy for the admins to change, I'm not sure I would have put it in config.xml, why not code it for a textbox like the search already built in?

Yes, one person will be in charge of changing the location if that happens. So giving a text box, all users will be able to view it, which is not the client's requirement. It should not be necessary that I use a config file. Any suggession for .ini files?

Or better yet, why not use a program that is free that the admins can check whats on a remote pc from their own desks? We use lansweeper for such things here

I don't think that would be needed.

Thanks

Well maybe try copy the file to the desired location and then delete it at the original location, this is fairly simple so it wont be too much effort (i believe in using the least code for the best performance)

Well maybe try copy the file to the desired location and then delete it at the original location, this is fairly simple so it wont be too much effort

Just tried, and it still doesn't work. :(

(i believe in using the least code for the best performance)

Me too.

ok ... hmmmm, in that case, what happened ??? why didnt it work ???

Please tell me the error, i love them,

(the answer lies within) :P

There's no error. It works perfect, but doesn't reflect the change I make manually, in the dll.config file by using Notepad.

So in other words you actually edit it then move it around and stuff ??

So either like save it to the new location directly in the Dest filestream or end the whole process then move it via new filestream ... ?????????

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.