Hi, what are the advantages of C# over C++? I have a little bit of knowledge in both of them, but I am going to choose which one to dedicate most of my time to.

Recommended Answers

Garbage collection is the most important, and outweighs the combination of all other advantages.

C# has anonymous functions, i.e. closures, which outweighs the combination of all the advantages below.

C# has an actual module system.

C# has generics, which are more powerful in some ways than C++'s …

Jump to Post

c# is great but, it truly depends what you're going to code as to what you would probably best learning whats right for us isnt necessarily right for you

Jump to Post

All 5 Replies

Garbage collection is the most important, and outweighs the combination of all other advantages.

C# has anonymous functions, i.e. closures, which outweighs the combination of all the advantages below.

C# has an actual module system.

C# has generics, which are more powerful in some ways than C++'s compile-time template system, and less powerful in others -- I would describe them as a little bit less verbose.

C# has extension methods which are cute but only a minor advantage.

You get a little bit more certainty about the various primitive data types -- you know that an int is an Int32.

Did I mention garbage collection?

Unless you're doing low-level numerical computation where processor time is the limiting factor, or unless you're using a lot of C++ libraries, C# is preferable.

Another advantage of C# is that you can use better languages that run on .NET too, like F#, and other languages, like Boo.

c# is great but, it truly depends what you're going to code as to what you would probably best learning whats right for us isnt necessarily right for you

I used both. It's two different languages for two different purposes. For normal app company system, I just use C#. For something require extra power ex graphic editor or game, sometime I use C++.

For business applications (Database as backend) C# is better
For learning and teaching students what the programming is; C++ is better.

Besides what has been said. C# is more strict that C++.
e.g.: in C# you MUST have a boolean or expression that evaluates to a boolean after an if or while statement, in C++ you can also use integers like 0 or 1 for that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.