Hello everyone.
Can anyone give a link to a good guide/tutorial on how to populate a treeview with the drives of a system. I am able to get the drives listed, but am i having a problem creating the child nodes for the drives and really have never used a tree view before. Any info is appreciated.

Below is what i have tried ( just to show my attempt). i know its wrong, so any tutorials or advice is appreciated.

Imports System.IO
Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

With tvDrives

.BeginUpdate()
            For Each dr As DriveInfo In DriveInfo.GetDrives()
                .Nodes.Add(dr.Name)

Next

.EndUpdate()
        End With

End Sub

Private Sub tvDrives_AfterSelect(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.TreeViewEventArgs) Handles tvDrives.AfterSelect

With tvDrives

For Each dr As DriveInfo In DriveInfo.GetDrives()

Dim dir As New DirectoryInfo(dr.Name) ' i want to try and use the selected node, but i am having trouble figuring this out and i just used this instead to make it work temporarily.

.ShowPlusMinus = True

For Each d As DirectoryInfo In Dir.GetDirectories()
                    Dim count As Integer = 0
                    .Nodes(count).Nodes.Add(d.Name)
                    count += 1
                Next

Next

End With

End Sub
End Class

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Look, you reached to very good phase.. what you need is to know how to go through nested directories. I believe you can do it on your own.

commented: I Fully Agree Here... Learning Nested Directories Is an absolute must. +10

Thanks for the link and the encouragement. I will keep working on it hard. Thanks!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.