Hello,
I'm relatively new to c++, so I would appreciate any help.
This must be a very basic issue, but how is it that one can assign a stuct or class member to a pointer instead of that structs or class member's address (via &)?

(from stroustrup)

struct name{
char* string;
name* next;
double value;
};

in other function:

name* nn = new name;

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by telemachos9

new returns a newly allocated address pointing to enough memory to hold a name structure.

BTW, your use of the word "member" threw me off at first because the members are string, next, and value, which don't enter into your question.

thank you for your answer, but isn't that still syntactically incorrect, assigning an object to equal a pointer?

It isn't assigning an object to equal a pointer. It is creating a pointer that points to a block of memory that has been allocated on the heap to hold the data in the struct.

name* nn; // declares a pointer to point to a name struct
nn = new name; // allocates a block of memory on the heap and stores the address to the block of memory (pointer) in nn;

ok, thank you, gents. I was banging my head on that for a while. So it's really just like passing an address, &name?

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.