Hello friends,
I am currently developing a chat application and I am having a small problem.

When the user send a message, the message appears in a text area, like in MSN and when the user receives a message the message again appears in the text area, its just a history. Hope you get my point.

The problem is that, when dealing with long messages. The horizontal scroll bar appears and I don't want that.

I just want the long message to stop at the end of the text area and continue on a new line. I don't want to see the horizontal scrollbar. I am using Netbeans.

Thanks in advance for any solution.

8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by leverin4

you could check the number of characters in the string, break it up into sections using a String ArrayList, and insert a \n after each string portion

Thanks for the answer, nice idea, i didn't think about that. But don't you think there is a built in function or something else to do the same thing. I want to optimize my code as far as possible.

Thanks Thanks Buddy ;).

I've never actually used it, but I think this should work.

When you are initializing the JTextArea add this line of code, but change chatArea to whatever variable you are using for your JTextArea.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.