I am trying to write a program, in which it will ask the user to enter a string of length exactly 9. I have got a dictionary file with me which contains over two hundred thousand words. My job is to output all the possible words between lengths 4 to 9. For example:-

If the input word / string is LARBITNLI, then the output should be TILL, TRILL AND BRILLIANT. I have written the program but I think it is most inefficient program ever because it is taking too much time to finish. I never actually allowed to finish but since I put several print statements, I could see that it is printing out the correct possible words.

Current Algorithm

I am taking the first word of dictionary (for example:- APPLE) and then I am checking if the frequency of all 27 alphabets in APPLE is than or equal to the frequency of all 27 alphabets in LARBITNLI.

Is there any better algorithm out there ? ( definitely :-) )

I think you're algorithm is pretty good so far:

if you're counting how much each character shows up in a word and then compare it to the ones of the other words it'll work in a good way ...

(What I also think is that this is something which can be solved in a more efficient way using the STL library)

I also found a much more inefficient algorithm than the one you're using:

I think it's way more inefficient to just try every possibility and compare it to the existing words ...

BTW, Could you post a copy of your source so we can take a look at what the 'inefficient' thing may be ...

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.