Just a curious Question. What do you prefer, QT or wxWidgets?
How do compare the two in terms of:
1. Nativity
2. Easiness to learn
3. Documentation
4. Weight (The size in MB)
5. Licencing
6. Any other factor(AOF)

Thanks all!

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by NicAx64

Sigh. This question has been asked and answered loads of times. But if you must.

1. Applications made by both have reasonably native appearances
2. I find them both around the same level of difficultly, but...
3. ...Qt has better documentation
4. That depends
5. Both have LGPL licenses, though I think wxWidgets has some extra restrictions lifted, not sure.
6. I don't really care. EDIT: Actually one point; sometimes wx tends to feel a bit ancient.

Great SCRU,
I ask because I use wxpython in Python (remember me?). I have been a little busy and disappeared for a while! I prefer wxpython in Python but any of two (QT or wxWidgets) is ok for me, provided it fulfills what I need. Your conribution is fine.

Here is my Question about LGPL and QT, does it allow me to use it commercially (If I wish to) with no restriction like previous? Then here is another question, is there free book about QT 4.5?

Great to meet you Scru,
have good time

I suspect by commercial you mean closed-source (they're not the same!). But yes, you can do closed source software with either toolkit.

Yeah, I mean CLOSED SOURCE AND COMMERCIAL
So if LGPL allows that and everything is as you have said, choice becomes to user, am I right?

Yeah, I mean CLOSED SOURCE AND COMMERCIAL
So if LGPL allows that and everything is as you have said, choice becomes to user, am I right?

Just link to the shared library and you're fine with "closed source and commercial."

Also, I much prefer Qt.

>>I really enjoy GTK+/gtkmm. Lots of demos and documentation.

True. I too use GTK+ as for the same reason that it has loads of documentation.
But warn you, GTK+ don't go so 'native' on windows.
Anyways, If I got to choose form wxWidget or QT I will choose wxWidget any day.
Another point to be noted ( as mentioned by scru) is that this question has lost its bones. It qualifies to be a FAQ. The OP should use a search engine before questing.
Again, as I always those four magical words: Google is your friend.:)

I think there are written lots of books about QT ...
Linux desktop environment KDE is also QT-powered ...

But personally I think wxWidgets is easier to learn, actually you should just try both of them, and stay with the one you feel yourself most comfortable with :) ...

Thanks guys, I love your suggestions. One trouble I had with QT and its pyQT was licencing issues. Someone have said I have to link shared library and I will be fine, but that is hard cookie to a little babe :)
I'm still learning console apps and haven't done much with Linking anything, so can anyone help me with grain of salt!

Thanks all!

Someone have said I have to link shared library and I will be fine, but that is hard cookie to a little babe

../configure --build=x86-winnt-mingw32 --disable-shared --disable-threads

and just continue , this process is clearly documented.

I'm still learning console apps and haven't done much with Linking anything, so can anyone help me with grain of salt!

help you without a problem ! Ahh that's not interesting.

Linux desktop environment KDE is also QT-powered ...

As addition: GNOME is GTK+ powered, however, that was due to the fact that back when QT was still non-free and used by KDE. Only a month ago QT was released with the LGPL license, allowing it to be used just as freely as GTK, so.. have your pick. ;)

I suggest to follow some tutorials for WxWidgets, QT and GTKmm (the OOP-brother of GTK) and decide for yourself what works the best. It'll look good on your resume too! :)

Maybe wxWidgets as it matches with your avatar :P ...

Hahaha! That avatar represent wxpython, the python bindings for wxWidgets. I will try both, but starting with wxWidgets, since it have been my default in python.

Just curious question(though I will post it in python in due time) have also pyQT went to LGPL?

I suggest to follow some tutorials for WxWidgets, QT and GTKmm (the OOP-brother of GTK) and decide for yourself what works the best. It'll look good on your resume too!

agree ! one side but many technologies. Side is GUI programming , and the technologies are win32 , wxWidgets ,GTK, QT, MFC ... etc.
I think that's the special expertise.

This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Take the time to help us to help you. Please be thoughtful and detailed and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.