scottjo 0 Newbie Poster

Hello everyone,

I’m hoping someone in the DaniWeb community can help me. I have a VB 2005 project to complete. I have two related tables called CurrentInventory (which is the parent table) and a child table called TrackingInventory. I want to update an existing row in the dataset for the CurrentInventory table for the Quanity_on_hand field. It works just fine while it’s still disconnected from the dataset. However, when I try to update the dataset it either doesn’t update in the table or I if I leave out the acceptchanges method for the table and try to save I get an error message:

The record cannot be deleted or changed because table 'TrackingInventory' includes related records.

I also tried deleting the exiting datarow in the dataset and adding a new row with updates to the Quantity_on_hand field but I get an error message saying this row already exists in the table.

Here is the code:

Private Sub updateCurrentInventory()

Dim dsCurrentInventoryEditRow As DataRow
        Dim saveIndex As Integer
        Dim myobject As Object

saveIndex = Me.genderDatagrid.CurrentRowIndex

dsCurrentInventoryEditRow = aFirstShoeFundDataSet.Tables("CurrentInventory").Rows(saveIndex)

myobject = dsCurrentInventoryEditRow.Item("Quantity_on_hand")

If myobject Is DBNull.Value Then
            myobject = 0
        End If

dsCurrentInventoryEditRow.Item("Gender") = genderColumnString

If addingBoolean = True Then
            myobject = CType(myobject, Integer) + myUpdateInventoryInteger 
            dsCurrentInventoryEditRow.Item("Quantity_on_hand") = myobject

ElseIf removeButtonBoolean = True Then
            myobject = CType(myobject, Integer) - myUpdateInventoryInteger
            dsCurrentInventoryEditRow.Item("Quantity_on_hand") = myobject
        End If

aFirstShoeFundDataSet.Tables("CurrentInventory").Rows(saveIndex)("Quantity_on_hand") = myobject

aFirstShoeFundDataSet.Tables("CurrentInventory").AcceptChanges()

End Sub
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.