Ok, so my problem is this: I did a little java program to take the number of seconds from a text box and sleep a thread for that amount of seconds. Just to make it clear, here is the piece of code I used:

jTestare.addActionListener(new ActionListener() {
					public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent evt) {
						try {
							Thread.sleep((Integer.parseInt(getStringInterval())));
						} catch (InterruptedException ex) {
							ex.printStackTrace();
						}
						getLblReprGrafica().setOpaque(true);
				                getLblReprGrafica().setBackground(Color.RED);
						getLblProcent().setText("100%");
					}
				});

Now my problem is how can I make this piece of code shared by a bunch of buttons (without them interfering with one another, like in starting one thread, moving two text boxes to the right, inputing a value then hitting Run on the respective button, and so on). I don't know if this can be done, but it was given to me as an assignment a couple of years ago and I only did it with one thread.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Im not sure I understand your question, but anyway...
First of all, it looks like you're sleeping the main thread, which will cause your application to freeze for a number of seconds.
I might be off here but do you want to fire a new thread for each button but avoid write reduntant code? If so, then create a class that extends Thread and fire it with method start()

public class MyThread extends Thread {
  public MyThread(/*argument here if needed*/) {
  }

public void run() {
    try {
     Thread.sleep(sleepTime);
    }catch(InterruptedException ie) {
    }
    // Do something here
  }
}

fire the thread like:

new MyThread().start();

Thanks di2daer, I'm gonna try to modify my code accordingly and see what happens.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.