ninjaneer 1 Junior Poster in Training

background:

I am currently working on a project that will require me to grab some audio from an electronic stethoscope and process it for use within a larger program -- I've been looking into ways to do this and ran into a post on MSDN that was talking about

"taking a signal from the microphone, processing it, and inserting it back into the microphone stream"

-- the response from the MSDN guru suggested that the OP should write a custom driver that would get data from the microphone input, apply desired filters/DSP to the signal, and then output it as though it were coming from a single device-- which sounds like a great idea, precisely what I'd need for my stethoscope project: I'd write a new driver and have a 'stethoscope' selection available in my windows devices -- awesome.

My question to you, dearest denizens of DaniWeb is this:

can anyone point me to a tutorial/explanation (or explain themselves) a starting point for creating a new 'microphone' device that other programs can use as my standard audio input? For example: if I were recording an audio stream and needed filtering and DSP built-in to the input stream I would record the audio using my virtual microphone as my input device...Furthermore any tips from those of you who've written device drivers before -- if you'd like to point me in the direction of your favorite or most useful resource for driversmithing I'd appreciate it!

tldr:

I want to make a device driver so that I can select a software-enhanced microphone from the list of audio input devices installed on my computer. I am looking for tips on writing device drivers -- specifically this is a request from more experienced driver authors to point me to any tutorials that they believe are particularly useful...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.