Hi I am just learning programming and I was wondering where can I go to get better at writing algorithms? In a few books I have they show simple ones like finding primes/ finding if number are even through loops, but when I read these sometimes I get confused. Then I look back a day later and try to rewrite the algorithms over again but I can't seem to figure out how to implement the math algorithms with code. Is there any books or places I can go to try to get better at understanding? Or is it that I don't understand some type of concept yet?

Thanks any help will be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

www.wcipeg.com/judge
Try that website. Although, it doesn't teach you the algorithms but it has A LOT of problems for you to solve!

Good Luck!!

P.S. I am not advertising, its a non-profit website run by a bunch of computer science students.

EDIT: Do the lower point problems first (3 pointers) then move onto higher ones when you feel that you understand how to submit the problems properly. BTW, NEVER ask the user for input.
For example, for "aplusb", just do
cin>>a>>b;

not

cout << "enter a and b" << endl;
cin >> a >> b;

Hi, I'm one of the admins on wcipeg.com/judge . Unfortunately, we have limited bandwidth and are not able to open the Judge to the general public. For this reason, registration has been closed; you will not be able to create an account. Sorry for the inconvenience. I suggest USACO and SPOJ.

Divide and conquer. Think about those words.

When trying to create algorithm,

I) you will get better as you gain more experience.
II) Think about the algorithm in parts. What do you need
to happen first. Then go step by step. Its a simple step but
its really powerful.
IV) Practice

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.