lehe 0 Light Poster

Hi,
Here are my two questions:

1. I am now learning to manage my code with CVS, and I just want to make a repository for my C++ files, Makefile and bash and python scripts only, not the object files and executables. So I made several subdirectories under my project directory: src, bin, scripts, results and data. I put C++ files and Makefile under ~/myproject/src, bash and python scripts under ~/myproject/scripts and object and executables under ~/myproject/bin. I am hoping only the files under src and scripts will be updated via CVS. I wonder how you guys organize your projects? Just hope to follow some good habits

2. Since I put my C++ files and Makefile into ~/myproject/src and object and executable files into ~/myproject/bin, I have to specify the directories in Makefile. Here is what I am doing

BIN_DIR=/home/myproject/bin/

all: $(BIN_DIR)myexecutable TAGS

TAGS: *.cc *.h
	etags --members --declarations -l c++ *.cc *.h

$(BIN_DIR)myexecutable: $(BIN_DIR)myobject.o
	$(CXX) $(CXXFLAGS) -o $@ $^ $(LDFLAGS)

Makefile.depend: *.h *.cc Makefile
	$(CXX) -M $(CXXFLAGS) *.cc > Makefile.depend

clean:
	\rm -f $(BIN_DIR)myexecutable $(BIN_DIR)*.o Makefile.depend TAGS

However this will give error

make: *** No rule to make target `/home/myproject/bin/myobject.o', needed by `/home/myproject/bin/myexecutable'.

How to specify a different directory for object and executable files from C++ files in Makefile?

Thanks and regards!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.