Dear all,

Forgive me for posting two threads for the same problem. I was not showing my problem clearly enough in the previous one. Thank Narue for answering that anyway. Now I do it again here:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

int main(void)
{
    string inputStr;
    while (true)
    {
        getline(cin, inputStr);
        if (inputStr == "quit") break;
        cout << inputStr << endl;
    }
    return 0;
}

This programme runs fine when I compile and click the executable. But things go wrong if I do it in command-line and redirect the input stream to a text file:

$a.out < inputFile

*The programme does not let me do any input and it loops again and again instead.* I guest this is a problem associated with getline() function.

So what do you think about this?

Jim

This programme runs fine when I compile and click the executable. But things go wrong if I do it in command-line and redirect the input stream to a text file:

$a.out < inputFile

Don't you mean input from? What are the contents of your input file?

Or do you mean to redirect the output to a file?

$a.out > inputFile

Don't you mean input from? What are the contents of your input file?

Or do you mean to redirect the output to a file?

$a.out > inputFile

Hi Dave,

Oh sorry for my grammer. I actually mean input from:

$a.out < inputFile

Here is what the content of inputFile maybe:

ls
changecc COMP271 5
quiz
quit

The problem occur when the programme has read all the way to the last line:

quit

The programme loops and does not ask me for input.

Jim

try doing getline(inputStr,10,'\n') it should work instead of getline(cin, inputStr)

Edited 6 Years Ago by kesh1000: n/a

can you make an infinite program using do while loop??

You can make an infinite loop with any loop structure, it just depends on how you write it...

@OP:
According to this article, getline has a default delimiter of '\n' that it detects and discards. The issue may be that at the end of a line (on Win systems) there is '\r\n'. As a result, I suspect that getline() is picking up 'quit\r' which does not match 'quit'. Try specifying getline(cin, inputStr, '\r') and see what happens. I don't know how this will affect your non-redirected version though.

EDIT:
WTF!!!! Why am I posting in an almost 5-year-dead thread!?!?!? This has got to stop!! :@

Edited 6 Years Ago by Fbody: n/a

Comments
Yes, but unfortunately the DW search engine seems to have a preference for anniversaries for some reason.
This article has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.