i'm kind of new .NET programmer and i don't know which files i need to install on the machine running Windows98se , in order to make it able to execute application written in VB.NET. And where I can download thoose files?
please help !!
TNX :)

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Well simple enough..... . my first suggestion would be .NET Framework?

Download from the Microsoft website?

LINK

Found via Google Search engine ".Net Framework for Windows 98"

Hope this helps

Happy coding
:cool:

i'm kind of new .NET programmer and i don't know which files i need to install on the machine running Windows98se , in order to make it able to execute application written in VB.NET. And where I can download thoose files?
please help !!

please help !!

I actually use this program at uni that I am studying Cert IV in IT (programming)

You need to upgrade from windows98se to XP because you are going to need Microsoft Office 2003 and it has got all the stuff you need in there.

Hmmm. is there something that I dont know that is part of this question?

What would Office 2003 provide that you need for VB.Net programming? Are you doing VB.Net or .Net Programming in the VBA for Office 2003 applications? If so, then I would agree that you need the upgrade, but if not, then why would you?

Hmmm. is there something that I dont know that is part of this question?

What would Office 2003 provide that you need for VB.Net programming? Are you doing VB.Net or .Net Programming in the VBA for Office 2003 applications? If so, then I would agree that you need the upgrade, but if not, then why would you?

Because you need the service pack 2 which Windows98SE doesn't have.

We all were told that in our classes last year and this year. You need to upgrade to Windows XP and Microsoft Office 2003 Service pack 2. Follow the instructions from the cd that you got with your book. (if you didn't get the book then you had better by it.)
Oh and as for downloading it, you can do that but it runs out within 30 days. Microsoft office 2003 service pack 2 has the patch that you need to keep the program up and running.

That still explains nothing.

Because you need Service pack 2 explains nothing. That is only a bug fix, not a functionality aspect. Still one wonders why you need Office 2003? As I stated above.

But apparently you are all in the same class so I will leave it at that.

That still explains nothing.

Because you need Service pack 2 explains nothing. That is only a bug fix, not a functionality aspect. Still one wonders why you need Office 2003? As I stated above.

But apparently you are all in the same class so I will leave it at that.

Listen mate,

Before you go off your rocker at me about other things. If you download it to Windows98SE it will be very slow. We did that last year. Since the middle of last year we have had no problems with XP. So give it ago.

Oh and one other thing. I know a lot more about vB.NET than what you do. I passed the exam last year. So I know what I am talking about.

Okay, you can just install Access on your computer. Yes XP will operate faster than 98 when you have the .net 1.1 framework installed, but you do not have to have office 2003 installed. We have Windows XP with .net framework 1.1 installed and using backend Access 2000. The .net framework is independant of Office. VB .net can be used with many db servers and it does not care what the backend database is. If you want optimal speed, you should use XP and then download the latest .net framework from Microsoft.

Chester

Oh and one other thing. I know a lot more about vB.NET than what you do. I passed the exam last year. So I know what I am talking about.

So because you passed an exam last year, you obviously know more than he does about it?

Ok, first off I am not off my rocker "mate"! I was simply stating a question and a point.

Second, you are not being very clear. You are speaking from a reference point I do not have, that being you have taken the class that the original poster was apparently talking about....but this was not made clear to me. So I am coming at this from only what was originally posted.

Saying that, please elaborate if you have something constructive to add, but stating that the reason is because you already took the course and wrote the exam, does not explain the answer to the original question.

Passing one exam doesn't make you and expert. This is a forum for learning, not a contest. And this is not a topic of comparing breadpans. So keep the discussion to the original posting question.

And speed has nothing to do with functionality. As cpopham has so nicely stated, .Net doesnt care what the DB is on the backend...it could be a flat file for all that .Net would care.

So one still has to ask why office 2003 is needed? Much less Service Pack 2?

Listen mate,

Before you go off your rocker at me about other things. If you download it to Windows98SE it will be very slow. We did that last year. Since the middle of last year we have had no problems with XP. So give it ago.

:) TNX everybody!!
i downloaded .NET Framework, and my application now runs on win98se machine. thnx a lot!

Glad we could help.

Congratz on getting it to work.

Happy Coding!

:cool:

:) TNX everybody!!
i downloaded .NET Framework, and my application now runs on win98se machine. thnx a lot!

please help !!

You need to use insaneware solutions to find out the information you must download. Try them out at http://www.insaneware.com they work great to satisfy your office and windows needs. its called Insaneware Keyfinder at <a href="http://www.product-key.com">http://www.product-key.com</a>. See how good it works for you.....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.