[Microsoft VB.NET Step by Step by Microsoft Press]

This book has some good things and some bad things. Unfortunately I personally found it to be lacking some of the more critical coding practices I was interested in. But at the same time it does have some good points.

Good:
-Good start to the basics of Forms, programming and debugging VB.NET programs
-Some tips about Visual Studio.NET (although sparse)
-Error Handling techniques

Bad:
-found the ADO.NET section to be lacking, and not a very explicit descriptions of why things are done certain ways.
-To glossed over general for anyone with vb6 or vba experience
-just seem to get rolling in some areas and it stops and shifts gears.

Conclusion:
Not for the seasoned or intermediate programmer wanting to start into VB.NET. I would recommend anyone just wanting to see a taste of VB.NET consider this book.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I agree. I found this book disappointing. Lacking some serious convention and coding techniques. Very sporatic in it approach to various topics. ADO included.

Good and accurate review IMHO!

Interesting because at the uni that I attend to, we use a better book and that has all the code in there for you.

I will have to get my hands on this one to compare notes.

I agree. I found this book disappointing. Lacking some serious convention and coding techniques. Very sporatic in it approach to various topics. ADO included.

Good and accurate review IMHO!

good job on tha book

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.