Hi all,

I have a php/mysql based site set up. I want to keep my database layer updated via a python script that will query some other systems, parse data and make the appropriate CRUD calls to my database. My question is might be a simple one but I'm wondering the mechanics of setting up this type of system. I've heard it's fairly common to have a python backend but I'm unsure on how to go about implementing this. Do I write the python scripts and set up a cron job to run at specified intervals or is there some other mechanism that can do this for me?

Thanks in advance!

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Stefano Mtangoo

where will python reside? In server or client machine
Can you explain more? I have tried to understand what you want to do but I haven't got you well.

You can take a look at mysql module
http://mysql-python.sourceforge.net/

sorry for the lack of info. it will reside on the back end. I'd like to keep my database updated with certain information queried from other 3rd party API's and i figured i could write a python script to accomplish this as well as other maintenance tasks. so the user would have nothing to do with it. it would just do all of the automated tasks i would program it to do.

hope that helps

sorry for the lack of info. it will reside on the back end. I'd like to keep my database updated with certain information queried from other 3rd party API's and i figured i could write a python script to accomplish this as well as other maintenance tasks. so the user would have nothing to do with it. it would just do all of the automated tasks i would program it to do.

hope that helps

I will use python-mysql and then run the script automatically using CRON or CRON like tool depending on platform

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.