:o
hello e/o..
im Raza..i hav a project to make small operating system...
i have completed my boot and kernel work in assembly...with the help of emulator8086...there is output showing after booting from floppy but now i have to link that kernel with C++ program to show some output on screen.. so i can move ahead to do some more work in c++..
guide me..
Khuda Hafiz. ;)

Raza.
hasnainr1@hotmail.com
hasnainr1@yahoo.co.uk

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Do you need help with the actual coding or putting everything together and making the OS bootable?

Luckily I can help you on both! Here is a resource I want you to take a look at first: http://www.1cplusplusstreet.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=3570&lngWId=3

See if the directions that guy left in the readme file help you. I would normally post the information directly into the forums for the sake of accurate information archiving, but the intructions are too long and I don't want to plagerize.

i have complete booting phase..its booting..now i have another problem which is about KERNEL...i have a small and simple kernel but i have to send it into second sector of floppy?how i can do this...after this i have to link that kernel (asm file) with c++.if u can.. then let me know...i will send u links plus boot code and kernel code....
Raza.

Do you need help with the actual coding or putting everything together and making the OS bootable?

Luckily I can help you on both! Here is a resource I want you to take a look at first: http://www.1cplusplusstreet.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=3570&lngWId=3

See if the directions that guy left in the readme file help you. I would normally post the information directly into the forums for the sake of accurate information archiving, but the intructions are too long and I don't want to plagerize.

you can create .bin file in any assembler or even Borland C compiler.

There is an option in emu8086 to write .bin files to any sector of a virtual floppy drive (that is "FLOPPY_0" file in Emu8086 folder) - here's how to get there by the menus: Emulator -> Show Emulator , Virtual Drive -> Write .bin file to floppy.

You need to select sector 2 for kernel, and sector 1 if it's a boot code.

after you wrote both .boot and .bin file to "FLOPPY_0", you can use RawWrite to write this file to a real floppy drive.

This information is based on this tutorial.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.