Sorry if this isn't the right place for this type of question (I'm pretty new to Python). If there is a better venue for this kind of thing, please let me know:

I tried to run a few PyQwt demo, but it complained that there was no module named PyQt4. I thought the Enthought Python Distribution for Windows had nearly everything, but I guess it doesn't include that. So I installed PyQt4 using:

http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/static/Downloads/PyQt4/PyQt-Py2.5-gpl-4.4.3-1.exe

On the riverbank download page it also suggests that I may need to install the MSVC2008 C++ runtime DLLs from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en

Unfortunately I couldn't do that since that link they provided is dead.

Now when I try to run the demos, I get the error:

Traceback
File "xxxx.py" , line 14, in <module>
import PyQt4.Qwt5 as Qwt
ImportError: No module named Qwt5

I have no idea where this module is supposed to come from, so I figured it may be because I didn't download the DLL's mentioned above. So I did a google search for qwt5.dll, which I found and downloaded (size 630,272). I don't know exactly where to put this file however. I tried putting it in various obvious places to no effect. Still get the same error. ... Perhaps this is not really the missing file, or I have the wrong file, or I put it in the wrong place, ... or probably something I haven't even thought of yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
~Paul

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I saw it mentioned somewhere on the web that you need to import PyQT4 instead of PyQt4 .

Note the Capital 'T'

The installer would usually install the pyqt package in
C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\PyQt4

This is the directory where one would put the optional graphics dll.
BTW, where did you find Qwt5.dll? I haven't had much luck downloading it.

Notice that the package name is PyQt4, so this is the spelling you need to use.

Hello
try this link
ftp://ftp-champo.ac-toulouse.fr/pub/pdalet/python/PyQt-Py2.5-gpl-4.6.exe
ftp://ftp-champo.ac-toulouse.fr/pub/pdalet/python/PyQwt5.2.0-Python2.5-PyQt4.6-NumPy1.3.0.exe

ph DALET
Lyp CHAMPOLLION - Figeac
France

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this type of question (I'm pretty new to Python). If there is a better venue for this kind of thing, please let me know:

I tried to run a few PyQwt demo, but it complained that there was no module named PyQt4. I thought the Enthought Python Distribution for Windows had nearly everything, but I guess it doesn't include that. So I installed PyQt4 using:

http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/static/Downloads/PyQt4/PyQt-Py2.5-gpl-4.4.3-1.exe

On the riverbank download page it also suggests that I may need to install the MSVC2008 C++ runtime DLLs from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en

Unfortunately I couldn't do that since that link they provided is dead.

Now when I try to run the demos, I get the error:

Traceback
File "xxxx.py" , line 14, in <module>
import PyQt4.Qwt5 as Qwt
ImportError: No module named Qwt5

I have no idea where this module is supposed to come from, so I figured it may be because I didn't download the DLL's mentioned above. So I did a google search for qwt5.dll, which I found and downloaded (size 630,272). I don't know exactly where to put this file however. I tried putting it in various obvious places to no effect. Still get the same error. ... Perhaps this is not really the missing file, or I have the wrong file, or I put it in the wrong place, ... or probably something I haven't even thought of yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
~Paul

BTW, where did you find Qwt5.dll? I haven't had much luck downloading it.

I can't remember where I downloaded it. I just googled it and eventually found it. I don't think it is necessary however. I just installed the newer version of PyQt that pdalet was so generous to share with us as well as the PyQwt installer he had. (BTW I didn't see the files at first ... after /pub, go to pdalet/ and then Python/).

After running both those installers it no longer complained about the missing import. It did complain about a missing mingwm10.dll, but I found that with google and put it in my windows system folder and then the demo I was trying to run actually worked :)

Thanks!
~Paul

Very nice! Thanks for the tips!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.