hey i was reading some stuff about windows i was wondering if file is loaded at virtual memory and let's say we load many files at once wouldn't that cause thrashing ? or exucatables are loaded into RAM then copied to virtual memory of hdd ?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

One thing that causes thrashing is when physical memory is filled up and spills over into virtual memory. Virtual memory is disk based instead of RAM based, so it is much slower to access data stored in virtual memory. Anything that uses RAM can potentially cause that form of thrashing.

let's say we load many files at once wouldn't that cause thrashing ?

It depends on how the files are loaded. If they are large and completely stored in memory all at once, that could easily cause thrashing. If they are small or the program loading them is smart enough to conserve memory, thrashing is not as likely.

oh thanks but when you load executable does it load directly in RAM or it gets loaded in hdd and sent to pages to hdd or it's vice versa ?

when you load executable does it load directly in RAM or it gets loaded in hdd and sent to pages to hdd

Executables are loaded into memory. Memory could mean either physical memory or virtual memory. If you open more programs than the physical memory can handle, the computer will start paging in and out of virtual memory. The whole point of virtual memory is to extend the physical memory without anyone being the wiser. The cost of that extension is speed, which brings me back to the statement of anything that uses memory can potentially cause thrashing.

oke thanks a lot for the information was useful

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.