Hi All,

I have just started learning how to write C++, I have written my very first very simple program using notepad and saved the file as simple.cpp.

So my question is how do I compile or build my program into an executable file, I understand I have to use the dos command line, can anyone tell me what the commands are.

When I open command line in dos it starts with this

C:\Users\V8 Power\>

What do I have to type in nect to build my program, then how do I execute it.

Thanks very much

John

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You should just download a free c++ compiler. I use Dev C++ and I am 100% satisfied with it. With Dev you can type up your program , save it as filename.cpp, press the F9 key to compile and run. It's that simple.

You should just download a free c++ compiler. I use Dev C++ and I am 100% satisfied with it. With Dev you can type up your program , save it as filename.cpp, press the F9 key to compile and run. It's that simple.

Will it work with Windows Vista?

Cheers

John

Ok scratch my reply will it work with Vista, I did some poking around google and it turns out this vursion of Dev C++ works with Vista

Dev-C++ 5.0 beta 9.2 (4.9.9.2) (9.0 MB) with Mingw/GCC 3.4.2

you can down load it from this link:

http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html

Ta very much for all your help.

John

Yes I run Dev c++ on Windows vista and windows xp

Hi All,

I have just upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista and the version of Dev C++ thats works on vista also works on Windows 7.

Cheers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.