hey guys,
Got another question:
in C programming etc we can stop an execution of say an infinite look by pressing Ctrl+C.
What's the equivalent in python? i'm using the IDLE GUI. I've found myself in situations where its running a never ending long task which i want to stall, but i just dont know how, and it ends up with my python crashing or having to restart it...

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by jlm699

In idle you can restart the shell in the shell menu. Normally, this kills your execution because idle starts a new process.

In idle you can restart the shell in the shell menu. Normally, this kills your execution because idle starts a new process.

Yeah I tried that a couple of times, but there were some instances where even the *.py file too had to be close (in the task manager) and IDLE has to be restarted completely, so was wondering if there was any other way that i didnt know of.
But yeah, closing the shell does help most of the time.

You can stop using IDLE and just run your code in the console, which retains the usage of Ctrl+C (I believe that IDLE tries to catch Ctrl+C)

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.