I need to parse an assembly program. I have no problems parsing a group of instructions or a group of instructions with one loop. For example:

LD    R2,     0(R1)
          DADD  R4,     R2,     R3
          SD    0(R1),  R4
          DADDI R1,     R1,     #-8
          DADD  R2,     R2,     R4
or
          Loop: LD    R2,     0(R1)
                DADD  R4,     R2,     R3
	        SD    0(R1),  R4
	        BNEZ  R1,     Loop
	        DADD  R2,     R2,     R4

My problem is when there are nested loops. For example:

DADD  R4,     R2,     R3
	    SD    0(R1),  R4
	    BNEZ  R1,     Loop
	    DADD  R2,     R2,     R4
     DADD  R4,     R2,     R3
     SD    0(R1),  R4
     BNEZ  R1,     Loop
     DADD  R2,     R2,     R4

I was hoping that someone could provide some insight on how to parse the nested loop example. I would like to split the nested loops into 2 separate lists, innerLoop and outerLoop. The only way I see to do this is to count the whitespace or indentation to break it up. If anyone has a better idea, please let me know. Thanks!

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by nizbit

When it comes to writing parsers, I tend not to write parsers at all and rely on parser generators like Wisent.

Anyway, care to show us the code of what you'll already doing?

I should be more clear when I mention parsing. I'm not using any parser generators or writing a parser. I'm parsing in the most basic sense, i.e-pulling what I want based on conditionals.

This is extremely hacky code. This is what I have for the cases that do work with the 2 examples above only. I makes no assumption that there is code before the loop and no code after the loop. I stopped writing that check because I realized I need to check for nested loops and was not sure how to extract the nested loops individually.

op = [['Loop:', 'LD', 'R2', '0(R1)'], ['DADD', 'R4', 'R2', 'R3'], ['SD', '0(R1)', 'R4'], ['DADDI', 'R1', 'R1', '#-8'], ['BNEZ', 'R1', 'Loop'], ['DADD', 'R2', 'R2', 'R4']]

for item in op:
    if item[0] == 'BNEZ':
        place = op.index(item)
        afterBNEZ = op[place+1:]
        beforeBNEZ = op[0:place+1]

I have to correct my above statement. The slicing in afterBNEZ does take into account if there is code after BNEZ. If not, The slicing will return an empty list.

Edited by nizbit: n/a

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.